I wanna customize my ipod

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by racefan, Nov 3, 2009.

1. racefan

racefan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok i downloaded ssh- winscp now how do i go about making my own back ground and calander and weather ect ect icons and where do i transfer them and what file do they need to be made into last what size does everything need to be made in...will these steps work for the 3.1.2 jail break...

This thread is for the installation of non-cydian themes (themes that aren't available on Cydia).

I feel the need to make this thread for those new to the community and jailbreaking that don't know how to install themes. Frankly I'm tired of someone asking in just about every single release thread. This guide was written by me, currently running firmware 3.0 on an iPod Touch 2G (just in case things change in the future). Hopefully this will eventually spread to also include custom theme setup guides (such as iNavs) so that we can have them all in one spot. To start, I'm only putting the simplest (imo) way to do things, if the thread is popular and used I'll expand to alternative methods too.

Firstly, you must be jailbroken to theme your iPod

Regular theme install w/wifi (any theme without special instructions given for install, fully utilizes the 4x4 structure of the springboard to fit 16 icons on a single page):

Things you'll need to start:
    •a computer
    •a jailbroken iPod Touch/iPhone

To make my life easier, you're going to have to learn how to SSH on your own. YouTube is your friend, so is google, so is this site. Search "OpenSSH".

On the device (sorry I'm not gonna type out iPod Touch/iPhone every time) you'll need to download Winterboard off Cydia and reboot your device.

K install guide time, nice and simple:
    1) Download and extract your newly downloaded theme. We want it to either be in folder form (no extension) or in .theme form. Keep the theme somewhere that's easy to access (the desktop always works).
    2) SSH into your iPod
    3) Navigate to /private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx (the "x"s represent random letters and/or numbers specific to your device, don't mess with them)
    4) Stick your theme folder in that directory. We're done with the comp once the transfer finishes.
    5) Go on your device, open Winterboard. Whatever the name of what you just added was, it should be somewhere on that list (IE if I named my file "Vince's File.theme", that's how it would show up in Winterboard.
    6) Tap the name of your theme, it should put a checkmark next to it. Then use the right side of the screen to drag that file to the top of the list of items in Winterboard (this will allow it to overwrite all other things in Winterboard).
    7) Hit the home button, this will close the app and trigger a respring. Unlock your device afterwards and your theme will be applied.
  2. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    theres also the iphonebrowser and i fun box option for people without wifi
    nice tutorial though
  3. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    He didn't make it. He was asking if it works for 3.1.2
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yes, those steps will work. In regards to the size question, I think the icon sizes can be any size (I've seen some really big and some really small) but I'm not sure about status bar icons, lock bars, docks etc.
  5. racefan

racefan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well i wanted to try a background and themes, no i didnt write the tutorial it was wrote by Vince.. i know i seen some where , someone post the sizes of all that stuff but i coulnt find it..
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

The way I find the sizes, I just take a screenshot of my springboard, then use Photoshop to crop the icon/whatever to find the size of it

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. racefan

racefan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok i made one in photoshop and saved it as a png file i got the name of it to show up in winter board and i checked it , then hit the home button it resprong but it never showed up on the screen
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I'm not actually sure how to change the icons like that, I just SSH the icons into the application folder that I want to change.
  9. racefan

racefan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    anyone else have any ideas what im doing wrong, i tried doing it the way ChrisL said and no luck that way either
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Are you renaming the icon to the proper name that the app uses? Example, if the main icon of the app is icon.png, then you have to rename your icon to icon.png