I thought that 1.1.1 didn't have an application limit....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by freelancer91, May 19, 2008.

1. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I have taken the advice of several people on this forum and have downgraded from 1.1.4 to 1.1.1. I did this because on 1.1.4, I was hitting an application limit at around 88 folders in the application folder. Bosstools, manual symlinks, and categories apprear to have no effect on this. When I switched to 1.1.1, I hit the limit again at 89 applications. The difference could be just a fluke. I have heard of people having well over 100 applications on 1.1.1. Again, categories, symlinks, and bosstools cannot rectify this problem.....
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I can't imagine why anyone would have anywhere near that many apps but it does work with categories on 1.1.4.
  3. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, categories doesn't fix the problem because it just adds another folder to the applications folder. That pushes it over the limit and gives me the spinning wheel of death.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    I have an idea, uninstall an app or two and then use categories!
  5. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't think its a problem with springboard. I think it is because the applications folder can only hold a certain amount. It seems to hit this point at around 88-90 folders. I'm trying now to found out how many mb this is.
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You can!
  7. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok I figured out how to delete my own post, sorry...

back on subject: I just ddid a restore, jailbreak, symlink, and started installing again. I hit the limit at 88 folders in the private/var/applications folder. That folder has 58568kb in it. According to Bosstools, I have 139mb out of 300mb of free space on the OS partition. I also have 14966mb out of 15184mb free on /var. I am on a 16GB Ipod Touch running 1.1.1. Could it be a problem with permissions? Would that cause the spinning wheel of death to start after exiting installer after I reach the limit?
  8. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    That is all you can put on it, it doesn't have anything to do with space! Just make a Games, Other Apps that Suck, etc folder in categories and fill them with apps so you dont get so many on the springboard.
  9. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I uninstalled one of my applications and then created a new category (tools). I filled that with 20 apps. When it was done, I went from 5 full pages of apps plus 4 icons on the 6th to 4 full pages of apps. However, when I went to add that application that I had uninstalled to accommodate the category, I got the spinning wheel of death upon returning to springboard. I SSHed in and deleted it. That got me out of the SWOD, but I still can't add any more applications.
  10. BadguinEater

BadguinEater New Member

No offense or anything but..
    Is it really that necessary to have 89 apps?
    Like, what are you using them for?