I *THINK* my iPod Touch is bricked, but i'm hoping you'll prove me wrong.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shannon, Feb 18, 2010.

1. shannon

shannon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Firstly, i've already checked the forums for solutions and nothing is helping.
    I own a 2G iPod Touch 3.1.2 firmware (i think.. it's the second newest, at least)
    Here's the thing.. I was letting a colleague listen to the Glee album when my iPod just shuts down. It had half battery too. Wouldn't turn on, even when i tried DFU. That was last saturday.
    Tried again yesterday, by plugging it to power, and it came to life! Continued charging from half batt. To be safe, i wanted to do a full restore. Plugged it into the computer, and it recognized my iTouch. Said firmware was old so asked me to do a restore and upgrade (or something like that). This crap laptop has really BAD battery life (like 30-45 mins on full charge) so died before i could start any restore of any sort. Btw, the iPod touch was fine, save for the fact that the wifi button in settings was totally unclickable.
    Left it alone for a while (didn't wanna mess anything up) till the charger would be back home. iPod refused to budge, even when i tried plugging it into the computer, DFU etc. (by DFU this time i mean plugging it into the computer, holding down power & home buttons for 10 secs then releasing power button etc, no sound of computer detecting any trace of like whatsoever. Tried many many many times, 1 min, 2 mins etc. nada.

Believe me, i've tried the apple store. They refuse to take it back since it's touched water (it's NOT!!!) (other than an occassional slight bit of rain and often sweaty palms/sweaty workouts etc)
    I've really tried.

Please answer.
    I really really need some closure...

Thank you,
    Shannon

btw. i've called the apple hotline. They tried to settle the case, and offered me vouchers, but i really don't wish for that to be the end of the case. Is there any way i can bring it up again? Call centre only has this ONE dude. I called again today and it was him again, so really couldn't reiterate my case. Is calling to lets say USA, Canada, or some other country's designated call centre free? (i'm living in Singapore btw)
  2. MuckYu

MuckYu Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This worked for me:
    1. turn your iPod off (power+home for a few secs if you are stuck on bootlogo)
    2. Hold down home button (not power!)
    3. while holding the home button connect your iPod to your pc
    4. Your iPod should show a new screen (restore mode) with the iTunes logo
    5. iTunes should recognize your iPod and you are ready to restore

hope this helps, it worked for me

Gl!
  3. shannon

shannon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks for the answer! doesn't work though.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What do you see on the screen now?
    What do you see when you plug it into a wall adapter to charge?
  5. shannon

shannon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well, i see absolutely nothing. Blank screen (not lit up or anything) the back of the iPod is slightly warm though (the area near to the wire connector bit, which i am assuming is the battery)
  6. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So it is charging and is recognized by the wall charger. Try take it to the apple store and see what they can do and explain your situation. You aren't jailbroken so they can probably help you. Keep explaining your case and be persistent, do not take no for an answer; stay at the apple store until they help you.
  7. shannon

shannon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm not sure if it is charging. There is absolutely NOTHING on screen (no matter what i do). I've plugged it into power a couple of times for prolonged periods already, so i think it's most likely fully charged, if alive.
    See, the thing is... The local "apple store" (local reseller, to be more precise) is pretty anal. There are no actual "apple stores" here. Just apple resellers, and the crap service centre i went to, was like licensed out by apple too. :/ (they insisted because the water sensor was red, that absolutely nothing i said would be of use, and that basically, my iPod was pretty much screwed. The guy serving me looked really skeptical and doubtful, and was just all round horrible. Very Very VERY annoyed with that horrible service.
    I'm probably going to call up apple themselves, and try to get me a replacement on the grounds of customer loyalty etc.. i have like 10ish or so apple things at home, various generations of iPods, parents iPhones and so on. Do you think this would work?
    Would u have a clue as to what would be the best way to get them to actually look at my case???

Thanks,
    Shannon
  8. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Try phone support again, just keep persisting and if they say no, call again. You have to get support from actual apple employees rather than resellers.
  9. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Try a full DFU restore.

If the Apple Store says you got it wet, you did. Inside the headphone jack there's a bit of paper that turns red. When moisture gets in there, the paper turns red. This means that the internals HAVE gotten moisture on them. In most cases, the device is fine, but Apple can't stand by it, because moisture obviously causes damage to electronics.

If the Touch got fairly damp, whether from rain, sweat, or whatever, it could be the source of your issues. When internal parts corrode, it causes all sorts of issues.
  10. shannon

shannon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah okay, will try that, thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

well if you consider sweat "wet" then fine. The iPod touch is touted as like a gym companion etc. Couldn't they find a better place to place the sensor? this is pretty annoying. I quite sure i never got it "wet", an occasional raindrop or two, or sweat but that's about it.