I think my GPU temps are too hot.

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Led, May 4, 2009.

1. Led

Led Banned

Yea, so as the title says i think my temps are too hot. Right now i've got speed fan open and it says the CPU (C2Q Q6600) is around 40-42 C which i think is pretty good and the GPU (256 mb 8600 gt) is at 69 C. I've been on the internet for the past hour or so and haven't played any games. Speed fan is also giving me this very vague "Temp 1" at 84 C and another vague "Temp 3" at -53C. To sum things up and ask another question.

-Is 69C idle too hot for a GPU (256mb 8600gt)
    -I'm thinking of getting an ATI 4770 (40nm) soon. Do you think that will push out better temps?
  2. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

That is definitely pretty hot. My 8800GT runs at around 42C idle, and my mom's 7900GT runs at around 39C idle. But i'm using a hugeass Arctic Cooling heat sink coupled with $15 thermal grease... :S

Meh. Change your fan/heatsink.

EDIT: Are you using nTune to find out your temps?
  3. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    This just happened to me:

1. Make sure that your heatsink is ok, mine had too much crap in it...
    2. IF you have any Artic Silver 5, put it on. (or if you don't know how, googles)

Your GPU temp is a little high...I would see how many RPM's your fan is doing.
    As for the ATI 4770, it should help a little, but a better fan will do you more.
  4. Led

Led Banned

Yea, I think i have a problem. I'm using Speed Fan. I go with a 9800 gt and get a pci fan. I'm pretty sure the 4770 will cover up the other pci slot. Curse you crappy mATX board!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I'm probably not going to do anything until i get a new card but when i do i'm probably going to go through the pc with a can of compressed air. Speed fan said something like 1000-1100 rpm on one fan and 15xx rpm on another. Should i get new, faster fans if i upgrade?

And no i do not have any Arctic Silver

EDIT: I tried nTune and set the fans at 60% the temp dropped to 63 C
  5. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    OK any fan RPM over 1000 is good.

The problem does seem to be your heatsink. I'd pop open your CPU and check if you have any grit or fuzz blocking your heatsink under your fan.

And btw, you shouldn't really have to use nTune.
  6. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

I'm having problems keeping my nVidia 9600 GSO at 768 MB cool. It runs at around 70C.
  7. hacker2021

hacker2021 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    mATX boards are notorious for temperatures. Clean out all the dust and shine up that rig!