I think I seriously messed up my computer...

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Ghetto Toaster, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ghetto Toaster

Ghetto Toaster New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Alright for Christmas I got a new case and Zalman CPU cooler. So I put all my stuff in the new case and installed the Zalman. So I plugged everything in and i just plugged in the power cable (nothing else) and i turned on the PSU and something on my motherboard started to smoke. I was like "holy sh*t!" and turned of the PSU. So I checked all my connections, all good, and I turned on the computer (power cable only, no monitor, etc.) and within seconds it starts to smell like a hairdryer, then turning into a really bad burning smell after like 5 seconds (no smoke). Is my computer f***ed? I haven't tried putting in my video card cause I don't wanna destroy my 8800 GT, so I can't tell you what came up on the screen. I don't know what went wrong, I mean I plugged everything back in right, and the smoke was not coming from the CPU. I even tried unplugging everything but the two motherboard power connectors, and still, hairdryer smell. Please help!

EDIT: nvm, everything is working now, i took in the mobo and he tested it and said it was fine, and that it was prob the PSU, so i brought it home and tried the psu one more time to see if there was any hope and, it booted and it is working perfectly, I am typing on it now! The new case looks really good too, i'll post pics later.
  2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think it might come from the CPU or some parts next to it..
    Did you checked out compatibility before installing?

This sounds really bad - yes your computer is f***ed up...

Please Register or Log in to view images

I suggest NOT turning it on again!! It could harm yourself!

Just disassemble everything and pull out the motherboard. Then look where the smell comes from EDIT: but DO NOT TURN IT ON!!! Just look! And also the smell stays there for a long long time - I know that 'cuz I experienced such things many many times^^ - it should be easy to locate that if the board is out ...good luck with that

Please tell us if you found the place
  3. Ghetto Toaster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i dont know if i can find where the smell is from, i can smell it just from standing over it... and yes my zalman heatsink is compatible with AM2 (what I have.) What would I have to replace anyway, just the motherboard? or the CPU and RAM? I am so pissed off at this cause my halo 3 disc just jot scratched and became unplayable earlier this day

EDIT: Well I guess I could sell the 420W psu the case came with on ebay for $$ towards new parts
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah well give it a try if the board is out and the cpu etc is also removed from it you can check then...also remove the cooler to see if the cpu is damaged and also double check the RAM - not only the connectors like you did before!

Also take a closer look on the mainboard - especially small units. If such a smell comes out there has to be an unit which burnt down

or melted down

The only thing you can do to stay safe and not destroying further parts is to let the power down disconnect the powersupply. And the 2nd thing is to try to locate the fault
  5. Ghetto Toaster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well the smoke came from where the arrows are pointing (around those places)

im not gonna go back to it tonight, i gotta get to bed its almost 5 am... I hope it isn't that f***ed up

Attached Files:

6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok...unfortunately your board is down now! I think you connected some cables in the wrong way

If youre lucky the cpu and RAM are still usable

And of course your gfx card

Throw the board into the wastebin (not really but..you get the point?) and try to get a new one
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok...unfortunately your board is down now! I think you connected some cables in the wrong way

If youre lucky the cpu and RAM are still usable

And of course your gfx card

Throw the board into the wastebin (not really but..you get the point?) and try to get a new one
  7. Ghetto Toaster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i dont know how i could have connected them in the wrong way, I mean if you look at the pic above the power connector (right below the RAM slots) it only fits one way. And the other power connector it's the same. The only thing I could have done is plug in a hdd or cd drive in the wrong way (highly doubt it), but would that make a difference? My motherboards inexpensive and so is my ram and CPU. Im just so glad that my GPU wasnt connected since it is my best and favorite component.

EDIT: I could always bring it back to the computer shop where I bought it, they might be able to do something.
  8. fbmbikes

fbmbikes New Member

sounds like you shorted out some things, cant tell what, but when you screwed in the mobo to the case you probably grounded the board, its happened to the best of us, iv done it on a 680i when it came out it was like 300$ so your lucky you board isn't to expensive, plus now you have a reason to upgrade.

when you get new mobo. be sure you change the parts out on wood flooring and make sure the mobo only contacts the screws for the mobo tray of the case and nothing else " it will ground again if it touches anything else"
  9. Ghetto Toaster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmmm i changed all my parts on carpet (out whole freaking house is carpet except for bathrooms and kitchen) and my motherboard and everything else was screwed onto the mobo tray and everything else was screwed into it's right spot. The comp was sitting on my couch when it smoked, so I guess I will have to try again with a new motherboard...
  10. Ghetto Toaster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    alright here are some pics...

I think its the capacitor in the first pic (see the red? EDIT: I don't know if it was that way before) Well, my mom is taking me to the computer shop to get a new motherboard and see if they can tell me what's wrong with mine.

Attached Files: