iOS 3.1 I think i found a solution the backup cydia apps!!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Snowleo, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Snowleo

Snowleo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    [redacted] I found this website and it explains how to convert cydia apps from .deb (debian format) to itunes friendly .ipa format. NOTE i am not talking about cracking cydia paid apps or anything of the sorts! I would only use this as a means to sync cyida apps with itunes (hopefully). Could someone please tell me if this will work? Once Redsn0w is released for 3.1 i plan to backup all of my cydia apps and info by syncing with itunes. I really hope this can work as it would be a great hassle to have to install all of my cydia apps again as well as all of the settings. I would only use the latest versions of the cydai apps that i have that i know are compatible with 3.1. Would this work?? and if so, would it actually create a backup in itunes with all of the cydia app data? Please tell me if you can get it to work as i have not personally tried it myself. Also, can i use itunes 9 with my 3.0 jailbroken 1st gen ipod touch or would it brick it?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, and i forgot to add- If this method doesnt work couldnt i technically just use ssh to make a backup of all the files i need on my computer and then just transfer them after i jailbreak?
  2. InfiniteVolume

InfiniteVolume New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Wow, great find. If this works, let everyone at iPtF know!
  3. Snowleo

Snowleo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the quick reply. But please try it out, i havent had the time myself and im curious as to whether it works. (btw although the site says only works on a pc, the method 1 works on a mac) please let everyone know about this as i dont want to get in trouble for double posting. The one downside about this is that you cannot update the .ipa files thru cydia as it does not recognize the format. Therefore it should probably only be used to backup cydia data (hopefully) before updating to new jailbreak firmware. But then... Im only guessing but i would think you could reinstall the app (or a newer version) thru cydia and it would only overwrite the ipa and keep all the data from the cydia app. I do not know for sure if this will actually work but if it does this can be A HUGE time saver and get rid of all the hassle of reinstalling cydia apps after upgrading firmware. By the way, all credit for the idea and methods of how to convert the .deb files to .ipas goes to r0bop0lo at [PIRACY].com forums. As to the idea of using this as a means of backing up cydia apps thru itunes is entirely mine. Pm me the results if u try this. Hope i will end up saving u a lot of time when u want to upgrade to 3.1 jailbreak
  4. glassguitar75

glassguitar75 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    im not sure this will work if it needs to signed by apple i don't think it will install

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    umm piracy/advertising?
  6. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yea that sites all about piracy.
  7. glassguitar75

glassguitar75 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I don't see how this is piracy
    o ya [PIRACY] is all about piracy
  8. Snowleo

Snowleo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have no other intentions or involvments with that website and nor do i participate in or am associated with any piracy that is involved with that website!! I merely found this useful piece of information in a google search that came up with this site and i wouldnt use the information for any unconventional or illegal means but only as a means to FIND A SOLUTION in my epic search to finally rid the hassles that is created when updating to a new firmware jailbreak and make backups of cydia app data merely to transfer to the new firmware and in no use it as a means of piracy or abuse of cydia app copy writes. I am merely trying to help out the many people that will want to have their cydia app data when they upgrade to 3.1 without having to waste endless hours reinstalling and reconfiguring cydia apps. I am sorry if this information is in any way misleading as i am not positive this will work but i am trying to help the iPod Touch Fan community by searching for an answer to end the hassles of upgrading in an nonillegal and nonpiracy way. I hope that you can look past the fact that this website is "[PIRACY].com" with is known for illegal activities and see that i am merely pointing out helpful information that was provided by one of the websites members that gave me the idea of backing up cydia apps in this way. I by no means respect him if his intentions were actually illegal ones but i do thank him for coming up with this technique in which can be used in conventinal and helpful nonillegal techniques as i have explained in this forum