I think Apple are trying to screw me over...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sayma3, Sep 2, 2009.

1. sayma3

sayma3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hey fellas,
    So I bought at iPhone 3G on release date in UK no problem, loved it, jailbroke it fine, unlocked it fine (for going to spain) and all was good. However, whilst I was in Spain, I left the phone on charge all night and when I got up and unplugged it, the screen came on as it normally would... all good so far. So I went outWhen I took out the phone about 2 hours later, there was a white screen, which I couldn't get rid of for anything. I had a look around on here and on the internet and couldn't find any help, but that it looks likely to be a common problem of 'the white screen of death'

So after about 3 weeks in Spain without my phone, my brother was in the area of my nearest Apple store (miles away), and showed it to the sales girl behind the counter. She looked at the bottom of the phone with a light and like, a magnifying glass or something and said 'oh yeah it looks like there has been some sort of water damage to the hard drive', to which my brother didnt really say a lot because he didn't know whether I had any problems with water or not...

Anyway, it got taken into the back and the technician wouldn't look at it because apparently you need an appointment, what the hell? Why the hell do you need to make an appointment to see a technician? who do these guys think they are?? the thing is under warranty, and its THEIR fault, and I'm 100% sure that there has been no damage to it atall. I spent $25 on a protective cover to stop a single little scratch-I think I'm going to be careful enough to not get water on it!
    So in that case my option was to book an appointment and make another journey later in the . Instead I called Apple and said I want a courier to pick it up, which they haven't done yet...

So what do you think? I've heard before that when iPhones get sent back in Apple always claim water damage... is this true? What do you think they will do? Surely they have to have some hard evidence to make a claim like water damage and that it's not covered won't they?
    When I spoke to the woman on the phone she told me to check in the USB connector at the bottom and also the earphone jack at the top to see if I could see any colours...? Anyone know why?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Do electrical outlets in Spain have a different voltage? That could be the reason.
  3. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If he bought it in the UK, I think the same voltage would be in Spain.

I think it only differs in the US.
    Could be the problem though, im no techinal geologist.
  4. sayma3

sayma3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    hmmm charging it in spain did work for 3 weeks, no problem. I might add that I could hear push notifications, it makes a noise when I plug it in, itunes picks it up, I've restored it and still nothing... though what you're saying is interesting, but wouldn't that screw it up completely, so much that i wouldn't have some of the things I've just described? If you're right, would apple cover this?
  5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Right, youre better off going to a UK Apple Store when you get the chance.
  6. snoopy14

snoopy14 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well this sounds interesting! According to some stories an electrical surge of any certain voltage rate can damage anything in different ways! like just the screen or maybe sound just depending on the voltage damage! Also the whole "water damage.." thing has happened to me also! they claim that it had water damage! when i clearly knew it didn't, so i went ahead and agreed with his theory and got it fixed ^^
  7. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Huh..

Interesting.
  8. sayma3

sayma3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I went to the Apple store and they said I have to make an appointment - which is miles away. My brother went because it was nearby. They have sent a courier out to collect it in the next 3 days but said it will probably take 2 weeks to get a new one out to me. Think I made a bad call in terms of what will take longer? I could maybe go to manchester at weekend... What do you reckon?
  9. snoopy14

snoopy14 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well i mean if u really need it done faster then u should try somewhere where u dont require an appointment, but if u want it done for sure and sent to u on the day they say instead of wasting time and looking for a palce that doesent require appointment, then i would recommend u send it and wait the 2 weeks!
  10. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Seconded.