I officially hate Installer

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by edru, Aug 11, 2008.

1. edru

edru New Member

figured there was one on cydia, might as well start one on installer.

I hate it because Air Horn shows up 50,000000 times for me, so for the f*** of it i installed it. Everytime i attempt to uninstall it, installer crashes. I resorted to SSH'ing in and deleting it. Of course installer still thinks I have it installed and crashes when I tell it to uninstall.

I get that its beta.. but cydia released with the FIRST PWNING OF 2.0 and didnt see these issues at all.....
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Don't compare Installer 4 beta, which probably shouldn't have been released in its current state, to an efficient application like Cydia.

There were bugs with Cydia as well. Be happy that you're not paying for either app.
  3. InTheMeanTime

InTheMeanTime Banned

its called beta... just wait lol calm down
  4. edru

edru New Member

Oh I'm happy that I am not paying. And I thank developers across the board. I just think that Installer is inferior. Yes I agree it shouldnt have been released in its current shape, but at the same time, i really dont see a need for it at all. Just like when Cydia was made in the 1.x firmware days i saw no point for it then.

They do the exact same thing, except one does it a whole lot better, and was out prior.

So what was cydia when it released on the opening pwn? Im just saying that upon release Cydia's functionality was far better than what Installer was upon release. (all this being 2.0 firmware of course)
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Sure, that's a good point, and Cydia's headstart may make it slightly more prevelant in the future. Installer will probably be better for novice users with a more graphical interface that is easier to follow them.
  6. edru

edru New Member

Im not trying to add fuel to the fire, im just bored as hell...

But how would it help? Both use the exact same type of interface..

Both Have lists, Both have icons representing either the application or its genre, Both take two taps to install/uninstall - the only real difference i see is that installers folders take up the same space that 2 of Cydia's do (GUI wise). And personally I think installer was actually a tad bit confusing because it really didnt have set sections on the bottom as Cydia does. For instance Id have to go to packages, installed apps, then uninstall where as i can just tap manage.
  7. darkshadow

darkshadow Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I hate Installer because I can't backup a list of all installed programs to a text file and after a firmware upgrade use that list in a shell script to do a one step install of every program I had.

Also I can't manually download from a repo to my computer if needed with Installer.

Also at least in old versions after a short time refreshing sources would be twenty minutes after a couple sources stopped working (I don't know if this has been fixed)

Also I can't install stuff from a ssh session with Installer.
  8. shortone2

shortone2 New Member

me too. i hate installer
  9. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Installer is on early stage right now, you need to wait
  10. jack.misner@virgin.net

jack.misner@virgin.net New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    atm, having both installer beta and cydia i can safely say that in my opinion cydia is a hell of a lot better. i prefer the interface and the uninstall/manage packages section. it is quicker and overall it is just nicer. i probably wont use installer when it is released