I need some advice.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigjzoo, Oct 21, 2010.

1. bigjzoo

bigjzoo Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I am looking to get either an iPad, Macbook, or Macbook Pro. I will be using for mainly schoolwork, web, etc. I am leaning towards the Macbook, since they're more of a computer. So here are my questions.

1) Can the iPad get the job done well?

2) What is the main difference between Macbook and Macbook Pro?

3) Are refurbished Macbook Pros any good, and will they get a free update of Lion?

4) Any other suggestios?

I'm going to get a 13.3 inch if I get a Mac, and will wait for the next gen iPad if that's what I get. I already have an iPT 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ElectroBeijing

ElectroBeijing Well-Known Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I say get the Macbook Pro, I have one and they are pretty useful/generally awesome, but if you don't quite have the money go for the Macbook. The iDevices are fun, but entertainment more than work. A refurbished Macbook should be fine, save you some money, but I don't know if it will have a free Lion update; even if it doesn't, the update will only be like $30, so its not too bad [not like Windows upgrades]
  3. bigjzoo

bigjzoo Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know the big reason why it costs an extra $200? I am now leaning towards a refurb Macbook Pro.
  4. Fatal548

Fatal548 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I fully agree with Itsadream..
    iDevices are mainly for entertainment.

I had pretty much he same dilemma as you. I opted for a 15" Macbook and still happy with my choice to this day as they are great in so many areas. For what you want to do (web surfing, school work) they are great as they are super fast, easy to use and very easy on the eye. If you have the money, go for a Macbook Pro I guess but there's not really any HUGE differences.

I really want an iPad though haha. But they shouldn't really be thought of as alternatives to computers.
  5. ElectroBeijing

Device:
    HTC One
    The difference is processor and the fact that the Pro is made of aluminum and not plastic, mostly
  6. bigjzoo

bigjzoo Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I at first wanted an iPad then I realized that it would be of much use for this. If I have enough money, I will get a refurb Macbook Pro with Lion update. Any other advice is still appreciated.
  7. bigjzoo

bigjzoo Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Is the processor that much better? Would I notice the speed increase?
  8. ElectroBeijing

Device:
    HTC One
    Egh, depends on what you're doing- based on what you wrote at first, the Macbook should be fine for you, but if you want shiny awesomeness, then go with the Pro; otherwise, a normal Macbook should be more than adequate
  9. bigjzoo

bigjzoo Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I think I've decided to pay the extra 20 dollars and get the macbook pro refurb. Has anyone had an experience with refurb macs?
  10. Elixau

Elixau Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I can only answer 1. And that is no x-x