i need some advice with my first ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by twostep08, Dec 27, 2009.

1. twostep08

twostep08 New Member

After sticking with zunes for the past few years, I've decided to get an ipod touch. it just seems very daunting for me as to which to get. Im very strapped for cash, so i want to get one with the most bang for the buck.

heres some things that i value:
    -With my zune i filled like 30 GBs, but ended up drastically decreasing how much i listened to music once i started college, so I could see the 8 GBs being enough for me, provided aps dont take up too much of that space and I can use it all for music (is that true?). That is unless I can get a size upgrade with a negligible cost increase, since cost is my number 1 priority.

-Battery life- I've heard that the older ones are better?

-Functionality with current developments- In other words, can the older Ipods work with most accessorys being made now (are the old ipods the same size or no). Also, I imagine all aps can be used with any of the ipods? and ive also heard, that the 3G 8GB ipod is literally a repackaged 2G ipod?

What would you recommend doing in my shoes? All of the 8G ipods are around 160-180, so i guess it comes down to if any are that much better; or if the 16 gb ipod is that much of an upgrade... also is there any reason not to buy it used for whatever reason? (do the amazon new ones for instance have waranty)...all advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. BigBossMan

BigBossMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1- well its really up to you on how many gigs you want if you listen to alot of music hell get a 32 or 64GB but if you dont then save some money and get a 8GB
    and it really depends if you want apps or not

2- in a way yes the 3rd gen is the same as the 2nd gen but its not at the same time cause if it was the same we would be abel to jailbreak the 3G, and most of the apps can work on any ipod touch some cant support the 1st gen and some can only support the iphone
  3. twostep08

twostep08 New Member

so 3G can not be jailbroken?

if cost was the same across the board, which 8GB one is the best to get?
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yes, it can. But all 3G models have a tethered jailbreak. So if you turn your iPod off, reboot your iPod, or your iPod dies, you'll need to run blackra1n and 'make it ra1n' again to turn it back on. So if you're gonna go for an 8gb, I'd recommend a 2G, but if you want a 32/64gb, I'd recommend a 3G.