I need help with a decision!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HavokD, Aug 17, 2010.

1. HavokD

HavokD New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello guys!

I actually own a 3G iPT 32 GB, I love that device, its actually my personal gaming device, and I find it quite useful for use at university (carrying all my books and solutionaries etc).

Well, I have been offered an iPhone 3GS 16 GB from some friend in my classroom, and hes selling it to me for a reasonable price. I own a W810 cellphone. My question was... Is it worth the change?

I would sell my iPT to be able to afford the iPhone 3GS. Please note that I would go from 32 gb to 16 gb. And at this time I have my iPod at exactly 17 Gb used. My iPod touch is NEW. Its been inside a case and has a protective screen guard. I swear that if you take it off the case and see it at every angle, it DOES NOT have a single scratch or anything at all (it only has 5 months of use btw). Whereas the iphone has the normal wear a cellphone gets for normal use.

Im quite excited for the camera on the 3GS (my W810 has a 2.0 MP) and of course the GPS and Compass (I could find that pretty useful) and also I would retain my Ipod Touch functionalities as gaming device and MP3 player...

So what do you say?? Would you do that change? Worth it? Would you do the change only if the iPhone had a price below certain value???

Please help!
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Nope. Keep the iPod. You already have a cell phone. You'd be downgrading devices.
  3. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hmmm.... what is that 17gb mostly filled; can you take a screenshot of that storage bar on iTunes? Also, it's mostly up to you. Unless you're constantly surrounded by wifi, to you, it maybe nice to be able to use the internet anywhere. And you will only have to carry around one device.

But, you may want to wait for Apple to show off the iPod touch 4th generation, because it may have a back facing camera and it may have a front facing camera with FaceTime. But, since you also use would use it for gaming, I can guarantee that iPt4 will have the A4 processor, 512mb of RAM, an AMAZING retina display, and a gyroscope. I think that you should try out some games on an iPhone 4 to see if you would want a iPt4.

To summarize:

If you would have a plan if you purchased the iPhone 3GS, you should just buy an iPhone 4.

If you plan on not using the iPhone as a phone, you should wait to see if the iPt4 has a camera.
  4. HavokD

HavokD New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I live in Mexico, iPhone 4 is over 1000 usd and iPT4G will cost around 400 usd (the lowest capacity). I bought my iPT for 380 usd and Im not kidding. TBH I dont plan on buying the iPhone 4, and the iPT4G may catch my attention, but I wouldnt buy it untill the next year...

Yes, I plan on using the 3GS as a phone, I plan on using the camera and most of all the GPS, I will find it quite useful since sometimes I dont have a clue of where to find a place, and I own a car and like to move around the city a lot. Just one question... Does the GPS works without a 3G or WIFI connection? I mean, to navigate thru maps on Tom Tom or something like that? Since I wont be getting a 3G data plan, I was thinking on trading to get a 3.0MP camera, the GPS and compass.

Edit: Itunes info:

9.65 gb Music.
    1.80 gb Video
    4.8 mg photos
    4.31 gb apps
    672 mb others
    12.87 gb free

I never go below the 10 free gb mark, I usually keep all my apps but I have already passed a lot, so I can delete like 1 maybe 2 gig of apps.
  5. ajgardemal

ajgardemal Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    keep the ipod touch. You already have a phone, you would be downgrading devices, and the AT&T bill would kill ya.
  6. HavokD

HavokD New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I live in Mexico, I wont have any billing option, the iPhone is unlocked for any company.
  7. ajgardemal

ajgardemal Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i would still recommend keeping the ipod touch because of the larger storage capacity and the fact that u already got a phone, plus the gps is alright but if you want tom tom it is pretty expensive
  8. HavokD

HavokD New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for your opinion!

I would like if more people could post here their own opinions aswell to have more open options.
  9. Wintertears

Wintertears Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I'd keep the ipod and your current cell. First of all, 32 to 16gb is a big difference, espceially considering you've already used up 17. Besides with your current combo the only thing your lacking is a slightly better camera and gps and compass.

The downside of the trade is, you lose half your memory capacity, you're trading youre ipod for an iphone that has quite a few wear and tear, and is maybe out of the warranty period. Plus the gains are not substantial, the camera of the iphone 3gs isn't that big of a leap. And the GPS isn't really useful unless you have a good app. The default app is google maps and it needs constant connection to the internet to download the maps.

You could buy Tomtom, but the price for that app is around $50 i think. So all in all you're just incurring more costs. Plus the fact that it'll also eat a bit of space to save the map, which will further reduce your 16gb of space left.
  10. thornet

thornet New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I have an Ipod touch 3g 32gb too, but guess what? I bought an iphone 3gs recently, and i must say im so happy with it!