I need help gettin started.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by thedeadpixel, Dec 15, 2009.

1. thedeadpixel

thedeadpixel New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys. I want to develop for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I HAVE downloaded the SDK, I HAVE looked around the programs. And I KNOW i need to learn Cocoa. But what I am wondering, is where i should start. I don't

Please Register or Log in to view images

know where to start. No, i do not know any Obj. C, OpenGL or Cocoa so don't bug me bout' it. I DO know some C. So... that mite help? IDK. just help. plezzzz!!!

----------------
    Now playing: Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
    via FoxyTunes
  2. NolesFans

NolesFans New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You dont really need to know C:
    Quoted From Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan

I know it may be boring but my advice is to buy this book and read through it, understanding all of it, it then leads on to iphone programming at the end and you'll be fluent and doing anything. I really recommend it and it is literally all you need to start off programming for the iphone!

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-O...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261355389&sr=8-2

1000st Post

4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You really should know C. Objective-C /is/ C, with a greater level of abstraction coming in the form of classes/objects. While it is possible that one will never delve into the lower-levels of C in an iPhone application, it doesn't hurt to know and appreciate that stuff. Also, one should be at least familiar with C, as the CoreGraphics framework is written in C. Also, structs and function calls are sometimes preferable over classes. Understanding how the Obj-C messaging system works forces you to realize that sometimes, function calls are just plain faster (usually for tasks performed in a rapid succession, where tearing through uncached method tables and hierarchies slows things down). Ignoring C does you know favors.