I need English!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by belgoddess03, Mar 22, 2009.

1. belgoddess03

belgoddess03 New Member

I received a 1st generation Ipod Touch as a gift but wasn't able to open it for quite awhile. I JUST opened it tonight and a friend of mine who said she "really knows all about these things" was playing around with it. All of a sudden, all the words are in Asian characters (I'm not sure of the specific language) and neither of us can figure out how to get it back to English. She swears she didn't push anything to change the language.

Does anyone know how to get this thing back to English? Please keep in mind that I can't read any of the buttons and I'm very new to this. The only two buttons that I know for sure on the main screen are Music and Settings (because I was looking up some info on these two areas online).

Any help would be VERY greatly appreciated!
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

click the grey cog icon
    click it again in the settings app
    scroll to the bottom, and just click on the different option, until you reach to the language place. then just play around until you find english.

i cant explain it clearly, i dont have my phone with me.
  3. pieceofsummer

pieceofsummer Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Heh, first of all you need to find settings icon:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Tap it.
    You'll get into a list of grouped settings. You need the first item in third group, it has the same icon as above, but smaller size. Tap it.

Scroll settings page to the very end. The last item is "Reset", and previous one is "Regional settings". Tap it.

You should see a page with three items and date and time below. Tap the first item and select whatever language you wish, then tap a blue button in upper-right corner

4. belgoddess03

belgoddess03 New Member

I don't know if this thing is royally screwed up or what, but here's what happens when I click the settings button on the main screen (third row down, third button; looks like a little cog in front of a file; hope that's the correct one)...

Once I click on that, I have 9 more choices (three rows of three again). None of these 9 have the same cog icon.

I really appreciate everyone who has responded so far. I'm just terrified that it's completely shot and I've only had it open for half an hour!

Moral of story: Never let your friends play with your Ipod until you figure it out!
  5. Tannerstouch

Tannerstouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Settings icon > 4th item down it will have the same gray icon > tap the 11th option down > first option on that screen > this should be the language select screen, pick English.
  6. pieceofsummer

pieceofsummer Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It's strange. There should be nothing similar anywhere except main screen. Could you post a screenshot or a photo of what you see? And we'd try to guess where you got into

Or just restore device from iTunes, as you were advised above, if you have nothing important on it.
  7. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you can try restoring in itunes
    \
    Step 1
    Make sure your iPod Touch is connected to your computer.
    Step 2
    Pick "iPod Touch" in the Source pane of the iTunes program.
    Step 3
    Click on the Summary tab.
    Step 4
    Choose "Check for Update."
    Step 5
    Select "Restore" and follow the instructions to finish restoring your iPod Touch.

it may ask for you to pay $10 to update to 2.0, its your call, i say its worth it but you dont have to. if you dont, it will update to 1.1.5 (free)
  8. belgoddess03

belgoddess03 New Member

THANK YOU to everyone for putting up with my ignorance at this point! I'm only 24 but from my technical difficulties, you'd probably figure I'm a grandma. So my question at this point is: Should the device automatically pop up in Itunes? Because I have Itunes open and the Ipod connected (It shows a computer on the screen now), but nothing is happening in Itunes.

Seriously, I am SO sorry that I'm clueless here. This is my first Ipod ever (can you believe it?) so I'm about as much of a newbie as you can imagine.
  9. ITBRTI

ITBRTI Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Follow them in order from left to right in the attached images

Attached Files:

10. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    there should be a panel on the left that says music, videos, podcasts, etc. somewhere along there it should say "ipod" or something. click that.

edit: follow that post, click the picture to make it big.^^