I need advice from people with MacBooks...

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by iPod.Touch, Oct 28, 2010.

1. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

May 24, 2008
    I am going to purchase a new macbook soon; my first one. Like everyone, I'm not made of money and I am planning on going to university soon so portablility is key.

My options are these: a) buy a 13" MacBook pro in 2011 when a refresh is available and hope the 13" is updated with a better processor. Then buy a second gen iPad. Both are the lowest specs (£999 Macbook and 16GB iPad)

b) Buy a 15" MacBook with an i5 processor for Christmas and buy an iPad in two years.

With discount, the 15" MacBook comes to about £1250. Again with discount, the 13" MacBook and iPad comes to about £1215. (without VAT increase)

Is it best to buy two lower powered computers over one highly powered computer? I will be doing things like programming, movie editing and photo editing like Photoshop.

Thank you.

p.s. In 2011, the UK government will increase VAT to 20%. At the moment it is 17.5%.
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    It all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan on gaming, video, music or image editing or anything that needs quite a bit of power, go for the 15". But if you're just using it for school, so word processing, browsing, chatting etc etc, between those two the 13" should be fine for you.

BUT if you are using it just for school (like I said above) and portability is the key, I would definitely suggest checking out the new Macbook Airs.
  3. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Completely agree with chrisl on this. Don't forget to think about whether you'll be able to wait until next year. Like I needed a Christmas present several months before Christmas. Helped me get an A but nothing big at Christmas.