I might know how to disable the killswitch on an un-jb iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by anc96, Feb 28, 2009.

1. anc96

anc96 New Member

[WINDOWS] Disable the Killswitch without a Jailbreak

I was reading this article http://www.sizzledcore.com/2008/08/14/how-to-disable-apples-kill-switch-in-iphone/ on how to disable to killswitch on an iPhone/iPod Touch, but it requires the device to be jailbroken. If you're like me and want it disabled but don't want to jailbreak, then this is for you. In the article, it said that you just need to add some text to the HOSTS file on you device. I am pretty sure that it will be possible to block that site for your entire wireless network.

1. Open the Command Prompt, then type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter.

2. Find the Default Gateway (example: 192.168.0.1) and type it into your web browser. You should be taken to you routers management page.

3. (VARIES FOR EACH TYPE OF ROUTER) Look for an Advanced Setup link and click it. When the page has loaded, click on Website Blocking.

4. Enter the URL 'iphone-services.apple.com' into the text box and press Add.

5. Wait for you router to reboot and now Apple shouldn't be able to use the killswitch on you device!

NOTE: This will only work when you are on your wireless network. If you are on a different network that doesn't have 'iphone-services.apple.com' blocked, then Apple WILL have access to you device.

I am not responsible if you screw up your router in the process of this.

Enjoy!
  2. Imitation

Imitation New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Umm. Not all routers are publicly broadcasting their internal website.

Your Internet Gateway should be it. (Example: 192.168.2.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, etc.)

=d
  3. anc96

anc96 New Member

Thanks Imitation! I have updated the thread accordingly.
  4. rinn

rinn Banned

has apple ever used the killswitch that we know of?
  5. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, but whats the point of disabling the killswitch? isnt the killswitch to stop cydia and stuff?
  6. anc96

anc96 New Member

I have found out it blocks apple.com aswell. will try and work out how to get around it later.