I know it's "impossible", but I think my iPod is bricked :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by qwertyuioas8, Sep 2, 2009.

1. qwertyuioas8

qwertyuioas8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well earlier I had been running jailbroken 3.0 on my 1st gen. Eventually it decided to turn off completely. I tried to turn it back on and all it does is show the apple logo for about 1 min, then shuts off. I put it in DFU mode and tried to restore, but i get the 1604 error in iTunes. I have even tried shift+restore and that has not worked. the iPod just shuts off during the restore when "preparing iPod for restore" pops up in iTunes, and the whole process starts over again.

Sorry for posting another "my iPod is bricked OMG HaLPPP" thread, but I am in desperate need of any help and any help is greatly appreciated.

MORE DETAILS 10TH POST
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    u just need to dfu+restore but u need to Shift+restore to the firmware and everything should work
    besides, if it was 'bricked' (which is nearly impossible) it wouldnt even turn on at all
  3. matt1308-

matt1308- Banned

Your iPod is NOT bricked.

Please Register or Log in to view images

That is a brick, it cannot connect to iTunes, or display an Apple logo, or return an error.
    If your iPod can do any of those things, you can safely assume it is not bricked!

Please make sure you're putting your iPod into DFU mode correctly. Try a few more times, and look for a tutorial.
  4. qwertyuioas8

qwertyuioas8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, well maybe it's not "bricked" but it sure doesnt do much except display the apple logo and connect to itunes logo. I have tried this process at least 10 times with the 3.0 official fw and a 3.0 custom firmware-didn't work. Have tried on 2 computers (win xp and win 7) both dont work (also tried with different cables-which I didn't think was the problem-but still didn't work). I did what you said and did a recovery mode and shift restore, but still no luck. I thank you for helping me, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Many thanks.
  5. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i guess u could search but idk, maybe just give it some time
  6. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Well your iPod shouldn't just cut off unless there was eternal damage done to it.
  7. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I got error 1604 aswell pretty much same problem as you been working on it for 4 hours straight still no luck. Ive had error 10, 16, and 1604
  8. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You're right, he could of searched, and he would have found this if he had.
  9. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Your iPod was completely blacked out and non-responsive when you supposedly put it into "DFU Mode", right?
  10. qwertyuioas8

qwertyuioas8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, you are right. Screen is black. Totally unresponsive. When it goes into DFU mode, Windows makes the sound that it recognizes it, then makes the USB disconnect sound, then makes the reconnect sound again (just thought I'd let you know, in case that affects anything). I have tried LITERALLY everything (Killing all Apple processes, shift+restore to normal AND custom firmwares, downgrading). I thank you guys for your suggestions but nothing seems to be working.

When iTunes says "Preparing iPod for restore", the Apple logo appears with the spinning dial for literally not even a split-second, then everything goes black, and iTunes sits at "Preparing for restore" for about 5 minutes, then i get a 1604 (or similar) error.

Anyone else have any more suggestions? (Yes I have googled this problem)