i just got an itouch 2g, what is jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by azn3dx90, Dec 4, 2008.

1. azn3dx90

azn3dx90 New Member

i am very sorry if many posts like this have already been made.
    i really cant find any similar to my situation.

my questions are, what exactly is jailbreaking?
    what are the pros and cons?
    what is firmware? what version should i have?
    are there and risks i am taking if i jailbreak my itouch?
  2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you REALLY NEED TO search the forum before you post something like this.
    google is your friend.
  3. ThatOneKid

ThatOneKid New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)

You REALLY need to be more useful
    Sorry,but the 2g cant be jailbroken yet
  4. azn3dx90

azn3dx90 New Member

thankyou for telling me that.

now if you dont mind, to the best of your ability
    can you please tell me what exactly jailbreaking is?
    and what firmware is?
  5. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  6. Marlonxp

Marlonxp Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol something you may not find out
  7. ThatOneKid

ThatOneKid New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    "lol",Stop trying to get your post count up IF you have nothing helpful to say

Its pretty much modding files,by the way
  8. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    He has 26 posts. He's far from post-count raising.

Also, jailbreaking isn't "modding files", it's an actual modification of the firmware and how it interacts with the device to allow for additional functionality that is not included by Apple by default (such as an SSH or even Apache server, changing the fonts or images that make up the user interface, and much more). Support for emulators that can run video games from systems such as the Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, NES, SNES, Playstation, and several other systems are also very common reasons to jailbreak (although all methods of acquiring games for these emulators are technically illegal, which is part of why there are no emulators in the App Store. That's also due to a rule in App Store development that says you can't run third-party code within an app, since it could be used maliciously). It's also increasingly becoming a way to pirate official App Store applications, which is not supported here, as it's illegal. Jailbreaking will void your warranty, but if you restore your firmware before trying to send it to Apple, there's no trace (as all of the modifications made by the jailbreak process are wiped during the restore process) of it ever happening (they'll never know, and won't say your warranty is voided). By the way, you asked what firmware is, too. Firmware is essentially the core operating system that runs on the iPod touch--just the software that directly interacts with the hardware. If you restore your firmware, you're essentially resetting the iPod's contents to how they were when it was manufactured.

As of now, the second generation of the iPod touch (commonly referred to as the "2G") cannot be jailbroken, because Apple patched the exploit that the developers of the current jailbreak were using to modify the device by changing the actual hardware (threw them a bit of a curveball, eh?). Anyway, it may be a while before an exploit that allows jailbreaking can be found for the second generation iPod touch--for now we'll have to just wait and see what happens it appears. The team that created the current jailbreak (called Pwnage, which is available in the software package PwnageTool or QuickPwn (although PwnageTool is Mac-only, and the only solution for Linux users right now is an open-source command line tool called xPwn) is working solely on unlocking the iPhone 3G for use on alternate carriers like T-Mobile (as Apple has it constrained to AT&T only in the United States, and select cell companies in other countries). However, independent groups like Chronic Productions are continuing to look for an exploit with which they could jailbreak the second generation iPod touch, but so far only minimal progress has been made in such fields.

And by the way, there are about thirty threads about this already, but I was feeling in the mood to make a gigantic post, haha. Enjoy your stay at iPod touch Fans, and remember to search.
  9. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

That. Was. Devastating.
  10. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What, my mammoth block of informative text?