iOS 4.0 I Just Found A New Downgrade Method - ALL Devices (Including MC Models)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by firebull, Sep 6, 2010.

1. firebull

firebull New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Hey everyone! I just found out a new way to successfully downgrade your iDevice from firmware 4.0.2 to 4.0! And the best part, there is NO SHSH BLOBS REQUIRED!!! I successfully downgraded my iPod Touch 2G 8GB MC Model from 4.0.2 to 4.0!

*NOTICE - This has ONLY been tested with iTunes 9.2.1, so I recommend using version 9.2.1 to prevent problems.*
    *NOTICE - I have only been able to test this on a Mac, but am almost positive that it will work on Windows PC as well.*
    *NOTICE - Remember to backup your iDevice with iTunes before attempting the following. I will not be held responsible for any damage or data loss that may, but most likely wont occur.*
    *NOTICE - I will post pictures as soon as possible, as I am very, very tired...*

- iDevice firmware 4.0: Select your iDevices type and generation from the list, and be sure to select firmware 4.0! LINK: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    - iTunes 9.2.1: LINK: Old Version of iTunes Download - *Select iTunes 9.2.1 from the list*
    - A brain, and the ability to use it... lol

There, now let us begin!

- Before starting, be sure you have all of the provided downloads/files listed in this article. If you have an identical file (for example, an identical firmware file), it is still recommended that you download the file attached to this article to prevent problems/errors.

Step 1:
    - To start, plug in your iDevice to your computer, open up iTunes and make a backup.

Step 2:
    - When you have finished backing up your device, you must put your iDevice into DFU mode.
    - You can do this by following these steps:
    * Leaving your iDevice connected to your Mac or PC, restart iTunes.
    * Turn off your device.
    * Hold the Home and Power button for about 10 seconds, then release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iTunes detects your iDevice in recovery mode. Your iDevice screen should be totally blank by now.

Step 3:
    - Now that your iDevice is in DFU mode, you must edit the "hosts" file.

* Navigate to Start >All Programs > Accessories > Right click on the Notepad icon > Choose Run as Administrator
    * Now go to File menu in opened Notepad and choose Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    * Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open HOSTS file.
    * Once HOSTS file is opened, copy-paste the following line at the end of the file:
    * Now, go back to File menu and choose Save or press Ctrl+S.

* Click Go > Go to Folder and then enter path /etc
    * Open HOSTS file with TextEdit and add the following line at the end of the file:

***NOTE - I know that it says "" and not ""... You must put at the file!!!***

* Now go to File and choose Save As, uncheck if no extension is provide, use .txt and save the HOSTS file on your desktop.
    * Now replace the original HOSTS file with the one you just saved on your desktop. In case you are prompted for the password, just enter it and click OK.

Step 4:
    - Next, restart iTunes again and select your iDevice from the iTunes sidebar. On the Summary tab, hold down the "option" key if you're on a Mac or the "shift" key on a Windows PC, and click the restore button. Select the 4.0 firmware file that you downloaded earlier. iTunes should now start to restore your iDevice.

Step 5:
    - After your iDevice is successfully restored, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT!!! Instead, when a message prompts you to either set up your iDevice as a new device or restore from a backup, select "Restore from Backup". Let iTunes restore your iDevice's settings/data.

Step 6:
    - When iTunes is finished, you can safely disconnect your iDevice from iTunes and jailbreak using Spirit or JailbreakMe!!! YAY!!!

***** If you have any questions, comments, need help, or just want to say thank you, please feel free to leave a comment and I will try to answer as many questions as I can. *****
  2. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Get rid of that link, it contains downloads for paid firmware
  3. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Interesting, i doubt it works to be honest, but ill spare some time on it the next time i screw up my iPod.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    iOS 4 is free for all devices.
  4. apple10

apple10 Member

Mar 5, 2010

Yes but the website he linked to has illegal PAYED fw downloads (iOS1,2,3)
  5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Jul 20, 2009
    This will only work for 1s and 2nd gen devices which have soft SHSH checks implemented since 4.0 by apple

The 8GB 2G iPod MC does NOT have SHSH signatures built into the hardware hence why you can downgrade from 4.0.2

Nevertheless this is good news for breaking apple soft SHSH signatures
  6. slim21st

slim21st Active Member

Jul 7, 2010
    i think he means the 3.X.X firmware which was sold when it first came out...and i was given a warning for the same exact site link so go figure =/