I have leopard installed on PC but...

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by MrBrightside, Jul 22, 2008.

1. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

I finally installed Leopard on one of my hard drives last night which was a first and I was verrrry excited about.

But now the hard drive doesnt boot up. It goes past the point in the bios where it detects my hardware but then goes to a black screen. Im really gutted about this because I'm so close and I thought after instalation, it would work.

If anyone could help with this, any ideas then that would be great thanks!
  2. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I may be able to help you, but I need the following info:

1. Basic computer specs
    2. Which install DVD was used
    3. A description of your install process
    4. (if there are any) error codes
    5. (not needed) a video would be really helpful
  3. MrBrightside

Ok man, cheers for the reply.

1. Its not a premade PC but

-Motherboard is ASRock P4VM890, 1.5Gig Ram, CPU - Intel P4 3GHZ (Hyper Threading), 160GB hard drive and an 80GB hard drive (which is what I'm installing it on).

2. Its TOHLeox86 DVD. Now Ive tried Kalyway (heard it was the best) but it restarts when I go into the bootloader. I tried iAtkos aswel, but that restarts as well. TOHLeox86 is the only one that I can get to the instalation.

3. I type -v -f -x -z -y and cpus=1 just before i press enter to cover it all with Kalyway. But it still restarts. With TOHLeox86, I dont need to put all that but I do it anyway. For the partition name, I dont put any spaces in because I heard that can mess up instalation. But as for the instalation itself, it goes without a hitch.

4. No I dont think theres any error codes. The only errors I can think of is as its booting and loads of scripts(?) scroll down the screen, it says things like cant find firewire and directorys not found but I think that might be normal.

5. NVidia Geforce 7300LE 256Mb (Can be used as 512Mb if I have a gig of ram). I cant remember but I think I tried instalation without the Graphics card in and just used onboard VGA but it made no difference.

I am wondering If I had Kalyway or maybe this TOHLeox86 with Kexts injected into the iso before burning, that could make a difference.

Thanks for the help.
  4. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I couldn't boot the Kalyway 10.5.2 iso either until I applied a patch to the iso which I found about a month ago which fixes an error involved with my JMicron IDE Controller, which I would try first http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/jmicron-ide-dvd-ppf-patch-for-kalyway-1052 . However if you still have problems with leopard in general, part of the problem could be your P4 processor. P4 processors have SSE2 but not the SSE3 which Leopard requires to run (found on Intel "Core" family CPUs) but there is a patch on the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD that allows SSE2 processors to run, which I might try if you can get the DVD to boot.

Try the patch and let me know what happens,

Good luck!
  5. MrBrightside

Alright, first off, the patch worked a treat. Instalation went fine and it was all a lot faster then TOHLeox86 so I'll try to stick with Kalyway but....

It restarted and this time it got to a point where I either entered start up commands or just let the timer go down for a normal startup. Sadly when the timer went down it would just restart. I entered a number of commands again like before but when I pressed enter, it would just restart.

I also took my graphics card out again to see if it made a difference but it didnt. So close

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. mikedavinci22

mikedavinci22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok im running a sony vaio vgn-fs920

1 gig ram, intel pentium m 1.73 GHz mobile intel 915 series graphics card

at the moment i only have an internal 80gig hdd but i will get an external if necesary.

now the question i have is can i install leopard on an external hdd and will it boot w/ my specs?
  7. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Mike, I don't think you can run leopard with those specs, or if it is possible you will need other patches.

On another note, I am happy to hear the patch worked : ) I originally had that instant reboot option, try rebooting with -f -v -legacy, or if not, then -v -x and see what happens. More importantly, you might have to re install but this time right before you click install, click the "customize" button on the last screen before installation, and select the appropriate drivers for your hardware, and to start I'd select the sleep kernel and not the vanilla one unless you want to select vanilla first and reinstall with the sleep kernel if it doesn't boot. There should be an SSE2 patch in the "Other" section of the customize screen, and with a P4 processor, you have to select that, and that might solve instant reboot problem.

any other questions, feel free to ask!
  8. MrBrightside

Nothings seemed to work so far. Ive twiddled with the commands and customize before instalation. One thing though, theres no options in the customize to choose an SSE2 patch so I'm wondering if I might have the wrong version. Il try get another one, but for now, I think I give up.

Cheers for the help though, I might post again in this thread once I have another version so keep an eye out =]
  9. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I can't post links for obvious reasons, but you want the "Kalyway_Leopard_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd" DVD
  10. MrBrightside

Thats the one im using =[