I have been out of touch with jailbreaking etc.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by realizment, Sep 23, 2010.

1. realizment

realizment New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi guys,

i haven't been around for awhile and i have not jail broke anything since the first iphone.

I got my ipod touch 3rd gen 64gb around the end of last year and looked into jailbreaking and it was only available as tethered. So i decided against it.

I understand this has been bypassed, but for 3.1.2. I want to update to the latest firmware, is it still possible to jailbreak?

And can you guys send me in the right direction to jailbreak my ipod using a mac, and what are the must have apps when i jailbreak, for example when i jailbroke my iphone CYDIA and INSTALLER, where the main things, im basically an uber noob once again and looking for some direction please.

It would be much appreciated thank you!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Update: I just realized im on the latest firmware 4.1
  2. sdettmer

sdettmer New Member

Yes, the last firmware 4.1 can be jailbroken with redSnow. look into the thread about jailbreaking on our side and/or on devteams blog. Right now the program is only running on Mac OSX (if i can remember correctly). The IOS 4.0 you can jailbreak with safari (jailbreakme.com). So, you need to have shsh saved to your computer and upgrade to 4.0 or 4.1. It´s up to you! If you don´t have shsh saved, use the umbrella program and choose the version for ur shsh. Keep in mind that umbrella need to run when restoring.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-09-17T19:37:00-04:00&max-results=1

Good Luck
  3. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One

That's for pwned for life devices only.
  4. realizment

realizment New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks...

Anyone else?
  5. jotokun

jotokun Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Unfortenetly you're stuck with 3.1.2 for the time being. As I"m sure you're aware, on 3rd gen devices and up Apple includes SHSH blobs on the firmware to stop someone from downgrading, and while you can capture them in cydia, seeing as how you've stuck with 3.1.2 and didnt jailbreak I'm willing to bet you dont have them for any firmware.

4.0 is jailbreakable, but since you dont have blobs you cant upgrade to 4.0. Your options are to either jailbreak 3.1.2 with Spirit(untethered) and hope you dont ever have to restore, or wait for a 4.1 jailbreak.

Edit: Just saw that you already upgraded to 4.1. There's no option for you than to wait for a 4.1 jailbreak. You cant downgrade unless you've saved your SHSH blobs and my guess is that you havent. Sorry.