I have an assortment of questions about the iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wanuvakind, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wanuvakind

wanuvakind New Member

Ok so, I'm going to just spit em out pretty randomly.

1. I see it has Wifi... this is something I was unaware of until just now. Does this mean I could use Yahoo Messenger or AIM on the go? I drive a Motorcycle, so If I'm on the road, and I stop into a Coffee shop with wifi, being able to jump in and check my buddy lists would be amazing.

2. Same with Myspace and Google. I assume you can use this thing to get some google maps right? Or Mapquest?

3. Can you save the maps, so you can access them in the middle of nowhere with zooming capabilitys, so I can see my entire travel path from start to finish, as long as I plan ahead and save the whole area? It would be frigging nice to save a satellite image of my entire State onto the phone for access. It would make getting lost more appealing.

4. Can you recommend me some portable batterys? Would it be possible to keep a fully charged battery in my bikes pouch, just in case? Or would there be some sort of reason not to do that?

5. Games, Are there many "free" games I can run on the iPhone? I don't have much money, so this is going to be a one time deal type thing.

6. Videos, If I were to download a video, and it didn't work on the ipod (What works out of the box?) Are there many Codecs that I can put on the phone to watch the video?

7. TV out. Are there any options for this? This is something I'd really want. To pop a movie onto the iPod, then watch it on the TV, would be perfect.

8. What are the "killer Aps"?

9. Honestly, are there any reasons to get the new Zune player over this?

Ok I think thats everything, thanks a ton!
  2. pwn247

pwn247 New Member

1. Yes. Well sort of. I know there's an AIM app, not sure about a YIM app, though. Does it work? Yes.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. There is a Myspace app available for the iPod Touch [it's free]. And every iPod Touch comes with Safari, the internet browser, so any site that you could visit on your computer- you can visit on the iPod Touch too. (Just make sure there's no Flash or Javascript, as that won't show up.)

3. That'll work! However we cannot "Save" maps, but the way you suggested is a good workaround.

4. Can't think of any portable batteries at the moment.

5. Yes. There are games. And there are tons of free games. However, you'll find that the majority of good, fun, playable titles cost money. But 99ยข isn't too shabby, is it?

6. The iPod Touch only plays a handful of video formats. You need to toss the video into iTunes before you can put it on your iPod Touch. Typically if I have a movie that I want to put on, I'll use Xilisoft's video converter to convert it to a .MP4 format so it will play smoothly with the iPod Touch.

7. Not that I know of, sorry.

8. You can check out the "Top Apps" by hitting the "Top" button at the App Store (you can do this from the device).

9. LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL. No. No, and no. Honestly, the Zune was Micro$oft's lame attempt to mock the iPod. Anyone who likes the Zune seriously needs a reality check, accompanied by a kick to the face.
  3. slname

slname New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well you could compare zune with ipod classic and zune flash with ipod nano. and zune does have more than a few things better than the mentioned ipods there. but there isn't a zune model comparable to ipod touch.
  4. vbsoccerdude94

vbsoccerdude94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. You can check both of them Simultaneously if you sign up for an account with meebo. I use that instead of the actual messaging programs, it works for PC/Mac, and has an iPod compatible version.

2. There is a maps app, and you can get a FREE Myspace app from the app store.

3. Not sure about this one.

4. I don't believe there are any.

5. Hundreds. And if you get the 1st gen, you can Jailbreak it and get even better games. Although I'd reccomend the second gen.

6. Videora iPod Touch Converter is what I use.

7. Yes, but you have to buy apple's cord, or find an alternative.

8. Free and killer? Tap Tap Revenge, Aurora Feint, there's more, just don't have them at the top of the head.

9. Heeeeelllllllllllllll No. The guy above me descrived pretty well. Ahhaha
  5. wanuvakind

wanuvakind New Member

Wow thanks for the quick and informitive answers.

To clear things up about the battery, I meant some sort of external battery pack.

Can anyone give me more info on the "TV Out" Cords, that may be a good purchise.

Jailbreak looks cool, can't wait to see what happens.

What features does the "iphone" have over the iPod Touch? It seems just being able to pay a lot more and make calls is it? I guess iPod has no mic, or any way to add a line in right? You can't hook a mic up to the iPod and use skype to make calls can you?

Is the screen really as scratch resistant as I've heard? I saw a youtube vid where a guy was rubbing his iPod Touch with a razor blade and the screen didn't scratch.

Any way to emulate games on this? Like NES and SNES? That could be interesting. Final Fantasy 6 on my iPod would be awesome.

Anyone know about the program "Cdisplay"? I use it to read comic books... is there anything like that on the iPod? A portable comic book reader would almost be worth the price alone.

The things you write in the notepad thing, you can copy that to Word easily I assume?

I guess thats it, thanks again
  6. slname

slname New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    About the emulation - yes, there are NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advanced emulators, PSX emulator is out as well.

For comics, there are iComic and Comicviewer.
  7. shitpan

shitpan Banned

but you have to jailbreak for those. jailbreaking isnt hard, but it voids your warranty
  8. wanuvakind

wanuvakind New Member

I've never really concerned myself with warrantys...

As for the iComic and Comicviewer...

Do those work on G2?
  9. slname

slname New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    not yet, G2 hasn't been jailbroken just yet. but i wouldn't worry too much about it, give the dev teams a couple of weeks...
  10. iblackwind

iblackwind New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i am sorry to post some of my questions into your thread....but i am also a noob on apple products.....will be getting the 16Gb 2G touch once i get my paycheck....so i hope you are fine with some of my questions.......

Can the touch open,edit or save .doc,.ppt,.pdf,.txt files?
    Is there any way to copy files into touch other than airshare?
    I heard that there seems to be some battery problems on 2G, how bad is it?
    I tried out a test unit at a store....seems to hang at some applications....did anyone else have this?...i thot it maybe due to it running the whole day or sumthing.....
    is there any app in which u can take down notes without typing on the onscreen keyboard...

This should be all....and i am sorrie tht i posted questions in ur thread....