I have a bricked 2nd gen, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dopiiopd, Aug 24, 2010.

1. dopiiopd

dopiiopd New Member

I have an 8gb 2nd gen ipod touch that I just purchased used (ebay). When I press the power button the apple logo is visible for a 1/2 second, then the screen flashes white and then goes black. When the ipod is connected to the computer it goes to restore mode. So I tried to restore with shift restore using 3.1.1, 3.1.2, 4.0 etc with no success, I get error 1610, or 3194 if I tried older OS. I also tried restore and update with the same results. When I try DFU mode (yes I know how to put it into DFU mode) restore it will get to the apple logo with an empty status bar and iTunes says "waiting for ipod" forever. I have also tried 1clickboot, iReb, ih8sn0w, and have not gotten any further. ih8sn0w did get the ipod to show a screen that said it was ready for os 3.0 and to connect to iTunes, which I did, and tried Shift restore w/3.0 then iTunes could not install the os successfully. This ipod touch is not under warranty, shows no sign of liquid damage, and I will not be taking it to the Apple Store. I read on here that it is ALMOST impossible to brick an ipod, well I hope someone has a way to get this paperweight functional again! Thanks for your help!
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok first: What model is it your iPod Touch? what Gen? MC model? How many GB it has?

Try putting you iPod in DFU mode and let iTunes restore it to the latest Firmware, make sure you have iTunes updated
  3. dopiiopd

dopiiopd New Member

I do not know if it is an MC model or not, 8gb. I tried DFU and iTunes latest firmware. I am running newest iTunes release on Vista computer and 9.0? on XP machine. I get the same results with both machines.
  4. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeas try and do that first, not jb
  5. dopiiopd

dopiiopd New Member

I tried DFU mode, no success. I am not trying to JB this, I am trying to get it out of restore mode.
  6. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Look on the back.

Is there a serial number present?

If so, it's an MB model, and it's out of warranty.

If it has no serial number on the back, then you can take it into Apple and they'll replace it.

And, it is probably a hardware issue inside with the flash memory... so essentially you bought a broken iPod for no reason.
  7. dopiiopd

dopiiopd New Member

Yeah, I already know that it is out of warranty. So essentially you have no idea how to fix it?
  8. SimpleTrick

SimpleTrick New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dfu mode then restore?
  9. dopiiopd

dopiiopd New Member

tried that already, it did not fix it