I have 2.1.1 shall i upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by therock003, May 6, 2009.

1. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the 2.1.1 firmware version and i see that 2.2.1 is available. Shall i upgrade now, or is there any newer coming?

BTW will i lose everything by upgrading? I see the file is .ipsw which i should probably flash via itunes.
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

you should upgrade. and no, you will not lose anything (except for a jailbreak). i suggest you do upgrade because there are some apps that are no longer compatible with firmwares lower than 2.2.1.

the only time you lose everything is when you restore. there is a big difference between upgrade and restore in iTunes. i suggest upgrade, and it should take less than 10 minutes if the ipsw has been downloaded.

For anything newer, firmware 3.0 will be coming out this summer for a cost of $9.95 for iPod Touches. Its free for iPhones.
  3. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What do you mean? That if it's jailbroken I would need to run the procedure again?

I have downloaded the .ipsw file, how do i upload it to the touch? It's 270mb. Does that mean that it will occupy as much space, or will it overwrite itself on the older firmware?

BTW am i required to have a full battery for the upgrade?

thanx.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Ihrm

Ihrm New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In my opinion, you should wait for the 3.0 update. Every time you update you have to restore and rejailbreak. It's a lot of work to do if you have a lot of jailbroken apps and themes. To answer your question the new ipsw will over write the old one and you don't need a full battery.
  5. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you lose any original settings?

Well i havent jailbroken 2.1.1 so i have nothing to lose so i will proceed with the upgrade.
  6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    No you don't lose your settings
  7. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, just downloaded 5H11a is this the latest revision for 2.2.1 out there?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Guys what the hell, i just upgraded via the .ipsw i downloaded and i lost everything. Settings were cleared and 8GB of music gone.
  8. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You most probably restored instead of upgraded, and make sure to use official firmwares downloaded from iTunes.
    And why do people get so annoyed when they 'lose all their music' from their iPod? Surely it's still on your computer.
  9. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yes cause i used this stupid guide http://www.sizlopedia.com/2008/07/12/how-to-update-ipod-touch-to-firmware-20-for-free/#comment-46147 that says to hold shift on the restore button instead the update.

Not all files are in my computer i will have to rip them from cd and stuff, and i dont even remember which ones i had transfered, there not on my itune library either. I have even had artowork embedded to each album.

Anyway nothing can be done about it now, i can only weep.

At least i upgraded to latest firmware and jailbroke as well, which is kind of a step forward.