iPhone 3G I Got A New iPhone 3G S! But need help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cvetee, May 24, 2010.

1. Cvetee

Cvetee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey guys, well I wish it was mine, but its actually my dads haha.

Anyways, my dad bought a practically, brand new iPhone 3G that has already been jailbroken and unlocked on firmware 3.1.2. However, the previous owner has created restrictions on the iPhone, (for example, No Safari, YouTube, and some others not on the springboard.)

The previous owner cannot remember the password to remove the restrictions and this causes a problem... Another problem that also arises is that when I go into the WiFi menu, there are no WiFi connections that show up, and there should be WiFi connections showing uo. Must I restore the iPhone in order to fix these problems?

If I was to restore, how do I go about Jailbreaking the iPhone on 3.1.2 and Unlocking it again.. Can anyone lead me to some great websites and tutorials to do this. All help is appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thank You

-Cvetee
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Does your dad need an unlock? Because now he can restore to a fresh firmware and fix all of those problems. Hopefully.

If he wants to jailbreak he can jailbreak with spirit.
  3. Cvetee

Cvetee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yes I believe he does, it was locked on a carrier before and I believe Ultrasn0w had done the unlock.

Im actually new to Spirit, Ill read up on it.. But just a quick question on it.. can I jailbreak and unlock on firmware 3.1.2 using Spirit?

I was leading towards the PwnageTool application, but wanted a recommendation on it.
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Spirit is not an unlock. If he restores it'll automatically update him to 3.1.3. Thus no unlock and no jailbreak (unless you jailbreak again).

If the previous owner back up his SSHs for 3.1.2?
  5. Cvetee

Cvetee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ok well, thats why I am considering using PwnageTool, so I can create my own custom firmware on 3.1.2. And just use the Shift+Click method to restore it on the custom firmware. Therefore, I wont need to update to 3.1.3. Then I can unlock it by using Ultrasn0w.

Because of the WiFi problem, im am unaware whether he has SSH as it doesn't connect to the internet.. ? :S
  6. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Unless the shsh blobs are backed up you won't be able to do that. You can check by opening Cydia and look for the green writing at the top of the "Cydia" tab.
  7. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Doesn't PwngeTool preserve the 5.11 BB if you create a custom 3.1.3 FW?
  8. Cvetee

Cvetee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ok, ive said it before.. Im unable to get into Cydia to check if it has the SHSH blobs as there is a WiFi problem with the iPhone.. Thats why I want to restore it on a custom firmware from PwnageTool.

Ive read up that PwnageTool does keep the BB the same, but still just to be sure i'd rather stay at 3.1.2 as I need an unlock.
  9. lewisb62

lewisb62 New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    As far as I know, spirit will jailbreak, but not unlock the carrier. I used spirit to jb my 3gs on the latest firmware.

No issues for me.

Was it originally bought unlocked? I have heard that if it's sold originally as unlocked, it stays unlocked.

If not, and if you can not get to the baseband backup, you will have a problem. What phone service is he using? If it's at&t, I would do a restore, jb and move on.
  10. Cvetee

Cvetee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Spirit is practically like Blackra1n.. Plug the iPhone in and press a button... BINGO!.. Which is great!

However, I would not like to update to 3.1.3 yet and Jailbreak it on that firmware, as the iPhone 3G I have needs to be unlocked, and there is 'No Unlock for iPhones on 3.1.3 firmware', Pretty straight forward.

Here is what I have currently and what I want to do:

-I have an iPhone 3G S running on 3.1.2, its Jailbroken, and Unlocked. However, due to the fact that it has restrictions and the previous owner cannot remember the passwords, I cannot access some apps, that I would like to access.

-So therefore, I would like to restore it... But If I restore it, I could face problems with it updating to 3.1.3, or the Unlock could be wiped, which is a 'NO-NO'.

- SO, I would use PwnageTool, to create a custom 3.1.2 firmware and restore the iPhone by using iTunes and pressing 'Shift+Click' method.. or whatever it is for Macintosh.

Can this work?

p.s. Updating to 3.1.3 is a no for me, as there is no unlock and I NEED an unlock.

p.s.s If this method doesnt work.. then yes I will use Blackra1n.

p.s.s.s I dont know whether Cydia has SHSH Blobs, as I believe the WiFi is being restricted on the iPhone and I cannot access Cydia, simple.

Cheers
    -Cvetee