I got a good grasp on the language, but now what?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by idk761, Jul 12, 2010.

1. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I got a good grasp on Objective C, but now what? In case your wondering my main source of information was from Programming in Objective C by Stephen G. Kochan and his forum. Then of course I use google if I couldn't understand something. Something in my guts, tells me this was just the beginning of the beginning...
    The official Apple documents looks good, but is it something I can jump straight into now?

In the end, I want to be developing small games, like 2d shooters/platforms.
  2. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Now code your own 2D engine and do everything step-by-step. You'll have a ton of moments leaning back and thinking "wow I now have X working!"
    Or you do the same thing you did already: You learn something new using all the available resources, without necessarily writing anything to produce something. You could learn how to use cocos2d, that way you'd be targeting for your goal (writing 2D games) and still would be in this "learning the beginning of the beginning" phase.
  3. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

I will check cococs2d out, I might do some more basic programs for now just to learn Xcode more.
    Maybe creating a chatbot on the iphone would be easy to start with?
  4. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    How long did objective c take you? I spend a huge effort and didnt get much out of it. It took me 1 year i never actually understood how it worked. and I still don't but I still dev some apps. Try out cocos2d as ^^ says.
  5. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    2 months to learn a good amount to it, where I can begin making simple apps.I had a lot of late nights learning. I realized that Objective C was a constant learning process and will probably never know everything in it.

Maybe the way you learn wasn't efficient for you, because the book I got helped a lot, it explained everything step by step.

If you just tried learning from the Apple Documents, I can see how hard it would be.
  6. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If your just starting learning then cococs2d is quite an advanced framework, sparrow framework is a simpler one to start with.
  7. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sparrow Framework does look a lot simpler from coca2d, from the documentations anyways.

I will probably give both a try, and see how it goes.
  8. johnmabassa

johnmabassa Member

Use Quartz framework or CoreGraphics to develop some animations and games.

-John
  9. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have one more questions, so I was fooling around with Coca2d until I decided I will try to follow a tutorial to make a simple 2d game. Now that I finished, I know what I did, but can't replicated it.

So let say I use that as a template for adding onto that simple game, and make it into something better as I learn as I go.

Would it be ok post that Project onto the app store, would the code really be mine?

Here is the tutorial I followed:
    http://www.raywenderlich.com/352/how-to-make-a-simple-iphone-game-with-cocos2d-tutorial
  10. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm sorry, but definitely NO. If you publish something on the App Store, it should be *yours*, not you following some tutorial.
    If you think of something unique (and you don't just swap out the graphics or something), your game will probably be more successful.

Please don't do something like this.