i get "firmware error string"

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by fatal510, Nov 24, 2008.

1. fatal510

fatal510 New Member

im trying to jailbreak my ipod touch witch has the latest fimeware and updates

it didnt auto detect my firmware update like it said it might so i finally found it

iPod2,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw

and i selected it but i just get the "firmware error string" problem
  2. joncitopr

joncitopr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Is the ipod 2g?
  3. lopezhansel

lopezhansel New Member

yeah!!! i get that too!
    im using ipod touch 1st gen.
    firmware 2.1

when i use quickpwn to jailbreak firmware 2.1, i tell me to open the firmware bundle 2.1, when i do, then it won't go to the next step.
    i used quickpwn 2-1 and 2-2 both don't work
    on quickpwn 2-1 when it tries to load the firmware nothing happens
    the spinning wheel just goes away.
    on quickpwn 2-2 i get this "firmware error string".

what should i do? how do fix this? PLZ HELP ME
    contact me on lopezhansel@gmail.com
  4. jinzky

jinzky New Member

same here!
  5. EmadEva

EmadEva New Member

I am using a 64 bit version of Windows Vista with a 2nd generation iPOD Touch. I tried to use quickpwn 2-2-1 and I also get the "firmware error string" message after trying it with several 2nd generation versions of the firmware file.

I did a restore using itunes with one of the iPod2,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw files and there were no error messages and my iPOD runs ok. At least I know the firmware has the correct file name and the file is not corrupted.

I hope someone has can give me the correct steps on using this file with quickpwn so it will not display the "firmware error string" message.

Thanks.
    Emad
  6. chrystianbourassa

chrystianbourassa New Member

Very simple answer

HI all, i am a software engineer and i checked the jailbreaking in detail. here is the simple answer for your problem

I'm getting good at jailbreaking and i discovered that you cannot jailbreak using a second generation upgrade file on a first generation.

here is the reason for the string Error

iPod2,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw
    If you check the string over here, the first part identify the Ipod generation version.. in this case, as u can see, it is version Ipod 2.1 (second generation)

-->>>> For your upgrade to 2.2 to be successfull , you must download the following firmware :

iPod1,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw

-->>>> as you see the difference in th generation section.. here is first generation upgrade to 2.2

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

i would not recommencd at this point you upgrade to 2.2,, some programs will not work well, like [PIRACY]us won't work anymore.. all ur installed app will stop functionning aftre you jailbreak it to 2.2

only cydia will work...

if you have any questions, feel free to ask

C. Bourassa
    Software Engineer
  7. can1234

can1234 New Member

firmware error string message

Hi,

i get the firmware error string message too , i have a version of 2.2 ipod touch. I am using quickpwn2.2 but it gives me the same message,firmware error string. What should i do? help help needed fast, where can i get the proper file , if needed
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The iPod2,1 is for the iPod Touch 2G, which is not supported by the firmware bundles in QuickPwn as the iPod Touch 2G is not supported. Make sure you download the firmware update via iTunes, and that'll dump it into the right folder as well. As long as your iPod is running 2.x firmware, it'll get the right one.
  9. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I have a 1G Ipod touch with a a version of 2.2 that was downloaded with itunes. I still get this message. This is the version I have iPod1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore
  10. Brendin

Brendin New Member

me too!!!!! HELP i need my ipod tomorrow