I found something interesting about Apple's terms about distrbuting software.

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by 0xjf, Mar 13, 2009.

1. 0xjf

0xjf Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Hey guys. You may have been exploring around on your iPod or iPhone before and noticed in the settings application, under the "About" section, there's a section called "Legal." Well I decided to take a look at it and I found this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Does this mean that you are allowed to distribute software? I've heard many times on these forums that you are not allowed to, but then again, this is Apple's legal terms. So I'm not sure. What do you think?
    Thanks

EDIT: seang5041 thinks that if you include the legal terms thing with the software then it's okay. I'm pretty sure he's correct, as that's what it says in the legal terms. "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any purpose without fee is hereby granted, provided that this entire notice is included in all copies of any software....." So is this allowed now? (I'm asking moderators/administrators) Thanks.

-Johnny
  2. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Seems to me that if you include that then it's ok.
  3. arberb

arberb New Member

4. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple are trying to make it illegal, so this statement may change in time.. At the moment its Apple doesnt like it, they cant do anything about it.

Good find tho

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. MatthewH12

MatthewH12 New Member

I think that is in reference to the AT&T C Library listed right above. See how to text went from all caps, to not all caps right at the AT&T C Library line?
  6. 0xjf

0xjf Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I don't think so...
  7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    it may be definied in another way thru their eyes
  8. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It's definitely referring to the AT&T C Library. Notice that the title of the section is "AT&T C Library", then it says the author is David M. Gay, and it has the copyright info? Then, below that it says that permission to modify (etc) this software...is hereby granted?

Also, it's not from the part of the text above, as that's related to hardware damage. In addition, it says "this software", which is singular, and must refer to the C Library (you can't broaden that statement to encompass all applications!).
  9. mikedaken

mikedaken New Member

Actually, MatthewH12 is right. It's filed under AT&T C Library. And that software is provided as is. It was copyrighted in 1991 BY AT&T.
  10. thehacker123

thehacker123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would say, after reading through the terms, ~70% of the software apple uses is free to distribute for non-commercial use. The statement you mentioned does apple to the C library.