I feel like telling a story...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by chort27, Sep 25, 2008.

1. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So I will tell it of my jailbreaking experience with 2.1!

So I am going to a jason mraz concert next month, and I thought to myself... its so rediculous that the iPhone doesn't have a video recording app. So I was like "okay it's time for me to jailbreak to get it for the concert". So I downloaded quickpwn and plugged in my iPhone.

Now I suppose I should give you some background on the situation with my crappy computer. It is a G5 iMac running leopard with 512 MB of RAM. Sounds pretty decent, right? WRONG! It's sooo slow sometimes, and it has this problem with iTunes that when a device is plugged in and I put it in DFU/Recovery mode... the ENTIRE COMPUTER freezes. I can't even move the mouse... and all progress bars stop. The disk basically stops running. The only way to make it work is to put the phone in DFU mode and THEN open iTunes. Weird, huh?

Anyway, so the pwnage process was going well. I had iTunes up in the background so i wouldn't have to deal with it trying to open like 60 times. Tehn I got to the part about putting it DFU mode, and I completely forgot about the problem my computer has with iTunes. I put it in DFU mode... and BAM! The entire computer freezes.

So I am forced to force restart. My iPhone boots up with the white screen... nothing else. So I DFU and restore it, and resynch all my stuff.

I decide to try again. This time, every time iTunes tries to open, I right click the bouncing icon and hit force quit. The process goes without a hitch. Then i get to the DFU part. I put it in DFU mode and I get an error message "Unable to enter DFU Mode. Try again?" I click retry... but for some reason the process continues so im like whatever. I'm pretty annoyed cuz iTunes has been trying to open every 2 seconds.

Then the process completes, and my Phone boots up on the pwnapple logo. It stays there. I go make a snack, and come back 10 minutes later. It's still on that pwnapple logo. So I decide to DFU it and restore... no more jailbreak.

So I hit the force restart keys. Hold for 1...2....3.... then suddenly springboard flashes on the screen. I quickly release the keys, but the phone restarts anyway. The pwnapple shows, and then starts up to sprinboard. Successfully jailbroken!

For some reason the first few installs from cydia it restarted completely at random times, but now its working perfect. I got cydcorder and gpsphone and stuff. its great.

now I'm working on combining some themes. Combining oriole with bluebird... and making a lot of icons by myself. Right now my springboard looks like this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Overall I had a pretty weird but successfull experience.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'll gladly take that "crappy" iMac G5 off your hands

3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    dibs!!!! i called it!!
  4. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    SHOTGUN!
    and shotgun overrules dibs.
  5. iAsian

iAsian New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Hey you two, don't spam it up here. I would be very thankful if you (chort27) would share that very attractive theme.
  6. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

how did you get the mac os x toolbar at the top?
  7. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  8. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

cool, thanks for not posting this on iphone fanatics chort -_-
  9. Meikura

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Haha, we were joking anyway

And yeah, that is one nice looking theme you got there!
  10. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    haha thanks. Ill share it. It's not completely done ... ive only made icons for 2 pages of my apps... but all the non-optional apps are on there. I'll post a link once its uploaded