I cant press dismiss (edit home screen)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeff121, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jeff121

jeff121 New Member

Hi everyone. Ok...I have checked all over youtube, google, IPT forum obviously and other forums. My problem is that part of my screen is not touch responsive. I can slide to unlock at the bottom. I can slide to power off at the top. My 1st Gen Iphone is jailbroken 3.0 When you restore the Iphone or jailbreak it you have a popup titled edit home screen. Until you press it once you cant do much of anything. The dismiss button so happens to be the unresponsive part. I dont have ssh on the iphone so it really isnt an option. I tried using iphonefolder and editing private/var/mobile/library/preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist For some reason it won't save my edit (im on pc) Can anyone please help me out, buying a new phone or repairing this one is not an option. Thank you in advance.
  2. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  3. jeff121

jeff121 New Member

ok i tried it

same result as using iphonefolder. I input the text <key>SBDidShowReorderText</key>
    <true/>

Maybe that is the wrong text to disable the popup message?
  4. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I wouldn't know which text to disable, but if you can find out how to install VNC, you could use your computer to control your iPod and dismiss the message. Veency I think this is your only hope.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    If you cant figure it out, tell me. I could easily do a walk through of installing it without using your ipod.
  5. jeff121

jeff121 New Member

im not sure i understand. I tried using funbox, on my pc to replace the file on my iphone.
    oh i see. Yes that would be very helpful thanks!
    if it can be done without access to the iphones interface it would work.
    i have used screenspltr, but you need to press the icon for that to work. Is Veency an automatic connection?
  6. ToasterEater

ToasterEater Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes.
    You would just have to know your IP adress of the iPhone. From what I know, the only way to install without access to the ipod interface is using terminal.
  7. jeff121

jeff121 New Member

i see. thanks, but it looks like im SOL.
    I haven't stopped looking and consequently haven't found a solution. If i was a bit more adept at hex editing and coding I could probably do it myself. But I'm not. Please someone has to have an idea.
  8. OMGJustLetMeRegister

OMGJustLetMeRegister New Member

Fixed Edit Home Screen Dismiss Issue

I had the exact same problem as you and was able to fix it. Here's how...

I took the SIM card out of another phone in the house and put it in the phone with the stuck dismiss screen. Once it was recognized I sent it a text message. When it arrived I got the message with the Close or Reply box. Click Reply. The SMS app opens and the Edit Home Screen comes up again....stuck. However, now that you're in SMS, rotate the phone 90 degrees and get into landscape mode. You can now touch dismiss. Ta-da!!

Good luck.
  9. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Great Job. I never would have thought of that.
  10. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Good work guys. Curious, was it a hardware problem or was the phone just being a little bit lazy?