I believe we need to truly define Flaming/Trolling.

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by HAL9000, Jul 14, 2008.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

I was recently warned for disagreeing with a user and I find this forum has yet to truly and correctly define trolling and flaming. I believe flaming or trolling someone is to intentionally bring down or bully a user in a negative manner. Disagreeing or debating with a user should not be treated as such. I believe we need to find a true definition to this crime because I believe many users are being incorrectly punished.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I read the post for which you were warned, and I believe it did in fact warrant a warning. Lighten up, as it's not as though you were banned.

For all to decide: Here is the Crime & Punishment thread.
  3. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

I did not post any negative comments towards him as a person. I was only commenting on his actions.

However this is irrelevant to the topic at hand. We are to discuss flaming/trolling and its true definition. Not if my actions were worthy of a warning. I do not matter in this topic.
  4. hockeynut0103

hockeynut0103 New Member

Yea you basically were
  5. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

If you could only elaborate as to why?
  6. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

It wasn't because I disagreed with you Bgizzle warned you because you were disagreeing with the rules and i guess it offended him.
    EDIT: MY BAD THIS ISN'T ABOUT THAT OFFENSE IS IT? COULD YOU CLARIFY WHAT HAPPENED
  7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

Please excuse my irrational behavior. Potroast, I have no choice but to admit I was rude to you. I apologize. I have been acting in a combative nature in my last few posts and I will try to relax and think my actions fully before I post again.

Bgizzle, if you are reading this I wish to thank you for the warning. It is a sign that I need to calm down.

I still stand behind my the main reason behind this thread. What is the true definition of flaming and trolling?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It certainly is. You're good.
  8. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    the new rules are stupid and many people have gotten in trouble for some of the stupidest reasons
  9. HAL9000

HAL9000 Banned

That is very true to an extent. I've just joined this forum and I've found the way how people were disciplined a tad harsh. Why was this stringent system implemented? Did something very big occur? A massive raid?

EDIT: This is a tad off-topic please pardon me.
  10. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

Hmmm you won my respect back lol.......I think flaming a trolling is when you say things that can be offensive without reason. If you attempt to offend someone just for the sake of offending them than that could get you in trouble. There are certain cases where you can get away with a little bit of rough agrueing as long as it is doesn't seem to be intentional. Or if it is more of intelligent argueing rather than vulgar argueing. Your offense is kind of questionable but luckily you only got a warning......