I Am So Confused.

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by ska18, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ska18

ska18 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol guys im not gunna lie,
    IM IN TOTAL NOOB LAND - BIG TIME.
    usually i make fun of the noobs,
    but can someone explain this whole PWN thing to me as if im half retarded?
    ahaha i dont understand it at all.
    my visits to the forums have been lacking lately. and this whole thing is making my head spin mostly cause im really excited and want to know what the heck is going on.

seriously.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Maybe you should read the big sticky on top!
  3. ska18

ska18 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah.... i still dont understand that.
    i guess i need some exaples of what it does.
    all i know is you can change the boot icon.
    omg big whoop
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Well that's not exactly true unless you can decrypt that .img2 file. It does allow you to add 2.0 firmware but 2.0 is pretty lame without having any installer or other apps that work with it. What you can do though is make a customized 1.1.4 firmware with all your apps and stuff already on it. It will include installer and you won't have to screw with ziphone.
  5. rem736

rem736 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    all previous jailbreak processes happen DURING/AFTER the new firmware is uploaded into your ipod. this is because the ipod would only accept digitally signed firmwares. i once attempted to add the installer into the 112 firmware before restoring it to the ipod, with the hopes that when it completes, the installer would be there.

but that never happened. during the restore process, it would complain (error 6), then quit.

pwnage allows you to do what i tried, modify the firmware BEFORE restoring the modified firmware to your ipod. but unlike my attempt, this works. this is because part of the pwnage process involves modifying something in the ipod (not sure what technincally) to accept unsigned firmware. that's why the guides say that you have to "pwn" your ipod only once. once done, use the ipsw builder to modify the official firmware to build your own. by default, the installer is added. you can then further add apps that you have stored somewhere on your computer into the firmware before restoring it to your ipod. the result is an ipod with not just the installer pre-installed, but whatever else apps you want in there.

in addition, i heard it's possible to backup entirely the firmware that's on your ipod, including all apps that you have installed. so if something goes wrong and you have to restore, you would only have to restore the backup and retain all your apps and settings. beats doing a fresh install.
  6. ska18

ska18 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    LOL alright thanks a lot I finally understand all of this