I am making "The Switch"

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by owner, Aug 4, 2008.

1. owner

owner Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I was at my Windows PC the other day and got nothing but error messages. I thought "THIS IS THE LAST STRAW. I am makng the switch to Mac."

Now I have used Macs before and have some knowledge. I want to get the most out of the MacBook I am getting. I would like to know some must have apps, tips for the Windows to Mac user, and other useful info. I have searched this forum and I have read topics but I want a personal opinion on what the switch was like too. Was it painful or was it as easy as copy paste for important files. Do you reccomend I get Vmware Fusion installed? I got the beta off the site. I have a few windows games not graphic intensive (something like Roller Coaster Tycoon 1). Thank you so much. Can't wait to buy my MacBook.
  2. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You'll probably get a long just fine (if you're getting Mac).. not saying I'm a Mac fan, but they do have excellent support for people who are new to the Operating System. As for VMWare Fusion: Why? I believe boot camp comes with new Macs, so you can just dual boot your system, and playing games in a Virtual Machine is NOT a good idea at ALL.
  3. owner

owner Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Well I didn't want to partition anything. So I guess I'm stuck with Mac Games. Any other suggestions?
  4. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nope, if you don't want to partition, that's cool, it's your preference. There is one thing however, called CrossOver Games (or something similar) that allows you to run Windows Games on Mac without Windows..

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Let me find it in my ultimate list thread..

Ultimate List thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85957

CrossOver Games - Play Windows Games on your Mac!!! Without Windows! More info...
  5. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just so you know, partitioning on a Mac is really, really easy. Just open up Disk Utility and you'll see how easy it is, haha
  6. owner

owner Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Well that is pretty impressive! I think this will be fun!
  7. Shintsu

Shintsu New Member

You'll regret it...I tried using a Mac instead of my PC (PowerMac G4) and I just couldn't take it. Not to mention, it actually locked up on me twice and Safari froze a few times and it wouldn't show the drop downs on some of the sites I went to. I still have it but it's nothing more than a toy, my PC is where I get my work and play done.

I just saw a PowerMac G4 which was similar (Not as good as mine actually) on Craigslist go for $200 and it had no OS on it, 20 GB hard drive, and 256 mb of ram. No monitor, no mouse, no keyboard, nothing. $200. The guy listed it with no price and said make an offer and some idiot offered him $200. People who buy Macs just seem to have no common sense that they're used to overpaying for everything. A PC with similar specs wouldn't be near as expensive in the same condition, it's just expensive because it's a Mac and it's in a pretty case.
  8. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    1.) I'm not a Mac fan, or a Windows fan. I prefer Mac hardware, but the Operating System isn't that good. I use FreeBSD as my Operating System.

2.) You probably had your problems with Mac because you have a PPC. PPCs suck.. A lot.

3.) Those specifications for that Mac are pretty good for running a small server (you never know what the person was thinking).

4.) A PC is a Personal Computer, that's what it stands for. Refrain from using the term PC for a Windows computers (in an intelligent conversation). I'm sorry, but I really hate generalizations, maybe you can call it WPC (Windows Personal Computer)?

5.) As I said before, most Mac hardware is good, yes, it comes in a shiny case, but it lasts long!
  9. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Yay! Windows can be very, very frustrating. I use MAc and Windows. I love my Macbook. PM me for applications that you can put on the macbook.
  10. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Or use my thread..

Please Register or Log in to view images