Hulu headed to Xbox 360 Live

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Wondering what big announcements Microsoft has up its sleeve for E3, aside from all the Project Natal stuff? Well, it looks like Hulu is gonna be their other surprise. While everyone was looking to the iPad as the device that would kick off the subscription-based paid model for Hulu, it instead looks like the Xbox 360 is going to get that honor. We’ve heard from a very reliable source (who has never been wrong before) that Microsoft is set to unveil Hulu as an Xbox Live service at E3 2010. Similar to how Netflix is integreated into the Xbox 360 dashboard, Hulu would be there as well, and would require a subscription fee. We have no idea how Microsoft will charge for it, but our assumption is that you’ll pay for a block of access time (a month? a quarter?) by using Microsoft Points...but then again, that part is just a guess. We also have no idea as to whether you will get the entire Hulu catalog that’s available on the web, or if it will be pared down for TV consumption, despite paying the premium.

E3 kicks off in two weeks, and we should know everything when Microsoft’s Media Briefing kicks off on June 14th at 10:00 AM PT.
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Interesting. Might be worth paying for, if its cheap enough and offers something worth wild over free Hulu and netflix. If its just going to be a price thrown on the existing hulu then no dice.

I mean, I can just plug my macbook into the TV and not pay a fee.
  3. hydropunk

hydropunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Word on this is that there will be a new PC premium service that you can pay for. Currently if you try to watch stuff on Hulu, it gives you back 4-6 episodes or whatever they have licensed at the time. The premium service would give you full access to all the episodes for a given show. I would imagine they will have access to more movies as well. Finally, you will also get access on Xbox and presumably future devices that they might move to (like iPhone maybe?). While Microsoft might have a subscription service set up where you can pay in MS points, the primary place for subscriptions will be on hulu.com and paid in USD.

Another thing to add is that Hulu is having a hard time financially, and they will probably be increasing the amount of commercials to be closer to what you would see on normal TV. I don't think the premium service would have zero commercials, but it is supposed to be more like the current amount.

So in a nutshell, it's basically TV on demand for a monthly fee, on your xbox.