iOS 5.0 [HowTo] Native SMS with SMS GV Extension!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by xXrkidXx, Nov 18, 2010.

1. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    iOS 5 Support is here! It is also fully integrated with iMessage and will work simultaneously!
    And thanks to tw23 iPod touch 4 users can now use this AND FaceTime!(Only tested on iOS 4)

Background Information

Will work on all iDevices(running 4.x and up)! Including iPod touches! Free for iPod touch users!(Users are reporting that the newest update makes the application paid for iPod touch users.. Do not update past 1.3.1 if you wish to keep a full working version of the app) For iPhone users sending is free, but you must pay a one time only fee of $2.99(WELL Worth it for unlimited texting for the rest of your life!)

Receiving using Push Notifications from the Google Voice App!

With the 1.3.0 update SMS GV Extension now supports taking the Push notifications from the official AppStore app( Google Voice ) and turning them into native SMS app messages.

To do this, all you have to do is install the application on the device, sign in with your google account information and make sure push notifications are enabled. Then go into Settings>SMS GV Extension>Receive and turn on GV App.
    Almost working on the iPad! Some tweaks and files are required for it to work properly but it's almost ready!

Requirements
    • an iDevice that is jailbroken on iOS 4.x or iOS 5.x
    • A method of getting the MobileSMS.app(iPod touch's 2nd and 3rd Gen)(Not required on iOS 5)
    • WinSCP and knowledge of how to SSH
    • A plist editor or -->
    • iFile if you want to do plist editing from your device
    • Common Sense

The Set Up(For Receiving without the Google Voice application)

First we need to set up a G-Mail account. (You can use other e-mails but we will not cover receiving for those accounts in this tutorial) Make SURE you didn't delete the com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessed.plist from your LaunchDaemon folder. If you have no idea what that is don't worry about it.

Then we need to set up your Google Sync e-mail in your Mail.app. Follow this link to learn how to set up your Google E-mail to use Push.

iOS 4 Users

For anything but an iPhone or iPod touch 4 you need to find yourself a copy of the MobileSMS.app that corresponds with your firmware. For any device the permissions of the MobileSMS.app(DO NOT CHANGE on iPod 4 or an iPhone, it's already set correctly) Needs to be 0755 and set recursively.
    If you cannot find yourself a copy of the MobileSMS.app then just install BiteSMS from Cydia. You will have to enable the SMS string.

iPod touch 4

For the iPod 4 to make this work AND have FaceTime work you need to remove this string from the MobileSMS.app's Info.plist. (Applications/MobileSMS.app)

Code:
    <key>sms</key>

Remove this from the SBAppTag section. Then Messages will appear without disabling FaceTime!

iPod touch 2nd and 3rd Gen

For iPod touches (2nd + 3rd Gen) you must get a copy of the MobileSMS.app for your firmware and also add

Code:
    <key>sms</key>
    <true/>
    To the plist for your device. (Refer to the table below)

iPhone Users

iPhone users already have the SMS tag enabled.. So all we have to do is download it off Cydia and refer back to the Set Up part of the tutorial.

Plist Table
    All of these are located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app on your iDevice.
    Code:
    N82AP.plist-iPhone 3G
    N88AP.plist-iPhone 3G[S]
    N90AP.plist-iPhone 4(GSM)
    N92AP.plist-iPhone 4(CDMA)
    N94AP.plist-iPhone 4[S]
    N72AP.plist-iPod touch 2G
    N18AP.plist-iPod touch 3G
    N81AP.plist-iPod touch 4G

iOS 5 Users

With iOS 5 the top half of this tutorial will soon be outdated. In iOS 5 Apple introduced iMessage for every iOS device receiving iOS 5. Why is this relevant? Well iPod touch and iPad users no longer need to find themselves a copy of MobileSMS.app as you already have it on your device!

iPod touch 4
    Please download SMS GV Extension from Cydia(You will need to purchase a license to receive. Although sending still works.

Now navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and open your plist(locate your device on the plist table above). And in the capabilities section add

Code:
    <key>sms</key>
    <true/>
    And respring. Now you will have made your iPod think it can send text messages.
    iPod touch 3G
    Please download SMS GV Extension from Cydia(You will need to purchase a license to receive. Although sending still works.

Now navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and open your plist(locate your device on the plist table above). And in the capabilities section add

Code:
    <key>sms</key>
    <true/>
    And respring. Now you will have made your iPod think it can send text messages.

iPhone Users

Since the iPhone already has the <sms> string enabled, all you need to do is download the extension and fill out your information!

Extras!
    Enable Ringtones and Message preferences in the Settings.app! Thank you 42395_skyline!

F.A.Q.
    It wont work! I get an error or something else, what should I do?
    Simply reinstall SMS GV Extension, and reboot. That should fix it.
    FaceTime says it wont activate? How come?
    Well FaceTime doesn't like to play well with SMS. When the SMS string is enabled it changes the way FaceTime likes to activate. Simply change the SMS string to false, activate FaceTime and change the SMS string back to true.
    What's that thing your using to reply to a text message on the SpringBoard in one of the screenshots?
    That is BiteSMS. It is available on Cydia for free, but after a 14 day trial it becomes ad supported. So when in the BiteSMS app(Not using the normal messages.app or QuickReply/Compose) you will see an ad banner. I think you can buy a license to remove the ads.
    How come I'm receiving two of the same message?
    This happens when you have a filter set up in the SMS GV Extension settings. Simply remove the filter(Keep the filter in your e-mail however!) and then you should only get the one message.
    I have an iPod touch 2G/3G and the messages app doesn't show up after I add the string to my plist...
    This is because these devices do not have the MobileSMS.app with them. You can find somebody with an iPhone who would be willing to give you the app and just drop it into /Applications with the permissions of 0755 and set recursively(Theres a little tick box in WinSCP when setting permissions.)
    The Messages.app I have crashes! What do I do?
    You either did not set the permissions correctly or you do not have a copy that is compatible with your firmware. Make sure you set the permissions of the .app to 0755 and they are set recursively(Theres a little tick box in WinSCP when setting permissions.)
    When I try and sync the Google Voice app with my iPod touch/iPad it wont allow me to!
    By default Google made it so the app could not be installed on the iPod touch because they did not want it to become a VOIP/SIP client. But you can still install it easily. Thanks to a guide by Swift, we can now install it on our devices!
    Help! My text messages come in saying from "Unknown"?
    I had this problem when I was using contacts in my Google Voice account. Anytime I received a message from somebody who was in my contacts on GV it would group all of them into one convo, 'Unknown". The way I fixed this was I deleted all my contacts in GV(Careful! Some might still be there but you can't modify them!) and cleared my cache, installed the newest version of Java, and flash. Then waited overnight, and by morning my texts were coming from people again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Badd_Blood and makeitso1 like this.
  2. tw23

tw23 Community Development Staff Member

im goin to try this right now, it won't jack up my device right
    you add the "sms key" to N72AP right
  3. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yup, and nothing will happen to your iPod. The messages.app wont function unless SMS GV Extension is there to hijack the text and re-route it to GV. Otherwise it will just say failed because there is no Mobile radio to send it through
  4. tw23

do we need google voice installed??? (i just deleted it)
  5. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Not the app, just the SMS GV Extension addon from Cydia
  6. tw23

ok thx!!! (goin to try it now!!!)
  7. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Enjoy your free texting :)
  8. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Quick note about this, it costs money to download it for the iPhone (3 bucks I think). For iPods, it's 100% free.

Also tell specifics on which plist files are for which device. Not everyone knows what plist file corresponds to their device. Create a basic table or something.

And for your images, you may want to blur the numbers, unless you want them to get "used" by someone else (I myself wouldn't do this, but not everyone is this nice).
  9. tw23

he said that [i think]
  10. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    He did, I just read it... But the other edits are good to know/do.