HowTo: Get a list of your app store apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bearded_Galaxy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Bearded_Galaxy

Bearded_Galaxy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is a (rather quick) HowTo for the ever-elusive 'list of installed App Store apps. (If someone's posted an easier way than this, let me know please.) This works with iPhones too. I have not tested it on OS 3 (just 2.2.1), but it should work regardless.

You need:
    • Jailbroken iPod touch/iPhone
    • Some way to get files from your device (i.e. WinSCP, AirSharing, etc...)

Open Terminal, and from the Home directory type this command:
    ls -R | grep .app > Apps.txt

This will list recursively all files and folders, search for only the lines with .app in them, and then write them to a text file called Apps.txt.

Now copy your Apps.txt file to your computer via whatever means you like. Open Excel, and enter in cell A1 "App Name," without the quotes or comma. Copy and paste the contents into Excel starting from cell A2.

Now sort the data you just pasted in alphabetically. That will put all of the entries that start with ./ at the beginning. Highlight and delete those entries. In B1, type "App Name," without the quotes or comma. In B2, type "*.app/," without the quotes or comma (keep the asterisk and slash). Now, we're going to use the Advanced filter option. Refer to the link near the beginning for how to get there.

For your, "List Range," highlight all the cells from A1 to the end of your data. For your, "Criteria Range," highlight B1 and B2. You can choose to copy it or sort it in the area or whatever you like. Hit OK and you now have a sorted list of App Store apps. NOTE: There might be some Cydia apps in there, I think I saw one when I did it, but there won't be many.

Sticky would make me happy.

How'd I do, overall? Kudos? Kudon'ts?
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    There needs to be a way to see all apps you've purchased so you know if you can download them again on your iPod for free
  3. Bearded_Galaxy

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    To my knowledge, you can look at your purchase history in your account in iTunes. Also to my knowledge, the devices do not retain any information about already-downloaded apps, unless they're presently installed. So unless you're on Steve Jobs' speed dial, probably not going to happen.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah, but it's by week and you can't just see a list of apps you've paid for. Like I know I downloaded a couple of X-Plane apps but I'm not sure which ones. So I'd have to go back in my purchase history to find the purchase.
  5. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You can. Go to iTunes store click your account and click purchase history.
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's by "batch" though.
  7. Bearded_Galaxy

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Getting a list of all purchased apps is a perhaps a bit over the top, though. But if you kept all the E-mails, just search through them for X-Plane.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've been wondering for a while how I can get a list of everything I've bought... been through a few restores and it would be nice to check on my old purchases to see if there's anything useful I should be syncing back that I've forgotten. Useful little tutorial, thanks.

edit/ this is just for the apps that you have installed on your device... no use to me. thx
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    lol, that was my exact thought process as I read this as well. It's a nice idea for people who want to share what they have with friends or something but not entirely useful.

Please Register or Log in to view images