[HowTo] Firmware download links straight from Apple (iPod/iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by SkylarEC, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I thought this was common knowledge, but I guess it isn't. To download the firmware straight from the source,

1. Go to this address:
      http://phobos.apple.com/versions
      [The site will be presented to you in XML. You might need to enable your browser to display XML. Also, you might need to View Source. Regardless, it is there.]
    2. Scroll through the page until you find the appropriate link. Highlight the full address, then copy.
      you want to look for a file similar to this: iPhone1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw
    3. In your browser's address, paste the link. The download should commence.
    4. Once completed, move the download to wherever you want it, making sure that you REMEMBER where you saved it.

That is it, happy downloading.
  2. pared

pared New Member

What is the file name of ipod touch 1.1.1?

Hopefully people don't think you can download the iPhone firmware and use that because of your example. That would lead to a lot of potential problems.

BTW, thanks.

EDIT: I believe touch owners looking for 1.1.3 should search for this: iPod1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw
  3. wallstreetcrash

wallstreetcrash New Member

So does this mean we still need to pay?

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. SilverTrumpet999

SilverTrumpet999 New Member

Firmware 1.1.3 is and has always been, free. It's the applications you are being gouged $20 for.
  5. touchfan092

touchfan092 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    ok so this is great and all, but i can already download the firmware via itunes. i just want a way to get the apps free without jailbreaking.
  6. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

This is helpful for those who cannot download iTunes.
    You won't get apps for free without jailbreaking... dream on. That's what jailbreaking was made for.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hey Skylar, how do I change the settings in my browser to view an .xml page? Say like in Safari or Firefox? I can't seem to figure that part out. None of my browsers will display that page....
  8. Altair

Altair New Member

I'm also having trouble changing the settings. Any help?
  9. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the best part about it is that .ipsw's are basically just zips, so couldnt you change stuff inside it and then upgrade your new one, but than again, apple authenticates it..hmm
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Yes, you can download the 1.1.3 from iTunes, but you can't download 1.1.2 form itunes anymore (for example). This thread was intended for those who want to downgrade but can't find where to look. The last time i actually read through the link, they had firmware versions for the iPod touch dating all the way back to 1.0.1. That's right, iPod Touch, 1.0.1.

Just right click (Windows) or ctrl click (Mac) and select View Source, and you should be all set.

iTunes verifies the checksum of the ipsw file, and most likely its contents as well. You could try this, but you're not likely to make it very far without a lot of determination.