[HOWTO] Boot iPod Touch 2nd Generation with TI-89 (Titanium)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jakew02, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jakew02

jakew02 New Member

Hello Everyone

I read about how to boot a Jailbroken iPod Touch 2nd Generation using a simple program by plugging into a TI-84+.

I do not have a TI-84+, so I decided to write the same program for the TI-89 (Titanium) for those who have TI-89 and TI-89 Titaniums.

I have not tried this on a Jailbroken 2nd Generation iPod Touch yet so if someone can do this quickly and verify I would much appreciate it, as I have decided to wait for the untethered jailbreak software to be released so I do not have to go through the work of jailbreaking yet again, and putting 2,000 songs and nearly 20 videos on my iPod for about the 4th time in 2 days.

I have made this successfully boot a powered-off iPod Touch 2g, so I assume it will work perfectly fine with a Jailbroken one.

This erases the memory on your calculator. I am not sure why this happens, but I am running tests to try and solve this. The only negative side to this is that you will have to write an entire 3 line program every time you want to reboot your iPod, until the Untethered Jailbreak is released (hopefully SOON!!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Read the Following Instructions To Learn How To Properly Write a Boot Program for Your iPod Touch 2nd Generation on a TI-89 (Titanium)

It is very simple process:

MATERIALS:
    • iPod Touch 2nd Generation (firmware is irrelevant)
    • iPod USB Cable(optional)
    • TI-89 or TI-89 Titanium
    • Mini-USB MALE to USB MALE cable(optional)
    • USB FEMALE to USB FEMALE Adapter (optional, you can find these at a RadioShack or PC Shop)
    • Mini-USB MALE to Mini-USB MALE Cable (optional)

Now I do not have a FEMALE to FEMALE adapter, nor a MINI-USB MALE to USB FEMALE adapter, so I got creative and used my Belkin iPod Dock which has a Mini USB port, and simply plugged the cable my calculator came with into that (this would be the Mini-USB MALE to Mini-USB MALE Cable) and then put my iPod onto the dock.

**THIS WILL ERASE YOUR CALCULATORS MEMORY SO BACKUP ANYTHING YOU WANT OR NEED TO KEEP**

I am going to provide the EXACT keystrokes for doing this, so no one should have ANY problems getting this going.

From your calculator's Home Screen (where you can do your math like 2+2) press the keys in the following order:

1. [APPS]
    2. [7] - 7: Program Editor
    3. [3] - 3: New
    4. [Down Arrow] x2
    5. [2ND] [ALPHA]
    6. [9]
    7. [(]
    8. [-]
    9. [-]
    10. [T]
    11. [ENTER]
    12. [Down Arrow] x2
    13. [CATALOG]
    14. [2]
    15. [Down Arrow] x15 (you want to choose the command "Request")
    16. [ENTER]
    17. [2ND]
    18. [1]
    19. [2ND] [ALPHA]
    20. Now Type [Type RUNRS] without the brackets to the right of the first quotation you just entered
    21. [2ND]
    22. [1]
    23. [,] <-- the Comma button
    24. [2ND] [ALPHA]
    25. [3] [ALPHA] [T] [2ND] [ALPHA] [2] [ALPHA] [1] (it should say [Request "TYPE RUNRS", str1] without the brackets, but WITH the quotations around RUNRS)
    26. [ENTER]
    27. [F3]
    28. [8]
    29. [3] - Send Calc
    30. [2ND] [ALPHA] [6] (so you enter a lowercase "n")
    31. [2ND] [ESC]

Now you must run the program. To do this, you must enter the program name, followed by " () " directly after it ( that's an open and close parenthesis, NO SPACES!!)

Do this by pressing:

1. [2ND] [ALPHA]
    2. [ 9 ] [ ( ] [ - ] [ - ] [ T ] [ ( ] [ ( ]
    3. [ENTER]

Now just follow the instructions you wrote by pressing:

1. [2ND] [ALPHA]
    2. Type in "RUNRS" without the quotations
    3. press [ENTER]

If you have done this correctly, I know FOR A FACT that an UNJailbroken iPod Touch 2nd Generation WILL reboot.

Your calculator will reboot as well, and you will lose all of your information on it, but who uses their calculator for calender and contacts anyway??

Once you see that your iPod has begun to reboot you can unplug it.

I am awaiting confirmation for doing this to a Jailbroken one, but I am almost 400% positive it will work.

For the program, here is the script. It is about an entire 3 lines.

Code:
    :iboot()
    :Prgm
    :Request "TYPE RUNRS", str1
    :SendCalc str1
    :EndPrgm

If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or additional help just let me know
  2. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    can you post a video of the instructions. i can't get your instructions
  3. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    will this work on a Ti-84
  4. jakew02

jakew02 New Member

Yea I will try to get a video of it up tomorrow if i have time. I will rewrite the instructions for sure tomorrow right after classes.

And it will work on a TI-84 however the commands are different so I will include those instructions as well.

As far as the current instructions - they are a little more confusing than I thought they would be. But you just start from the home screen and press the buttons In the exact order I have listed
  5. Xx-pFizZLE-xX

Xx-pFizZLE-xX Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Yeah, the directions are really confusing to me because I have the 84 Plus.

If you can give us a proggy or tut for a 89 that would be awesome..
    thanks
  6. jakew02

jakew02 New Member

I've been really busy this weekend so i'm going to post up real quick instructions

for TI-89:
    • Create a program, and name it whatever you want
    • type this in under the line that says "Prgm" : Request "TYPE RUN RS", str1
    • Press Enter
    • Type This on a new line : SendCalc str1

TI-89 Program
    Code:
    :PrgmName
    :Request "TYPE RUN RS", str1
    :SendCalc str1
    Save the program, plug into the iPod, and run the program. Simply type RUN RS in all capital letters when prompted

For TI-84 :

• create a program and name it whatever you want
    • enter the following for the first line of script : Input "TYPE RUN RS:", str1
    • Enter the following for the second line of script : Send str1

TI-84 Program
    Code:
    :PrgmName
    :Input "TYPE RUN RS:", str1
    :Send str1
    Plug in to the iPod and run the program

As far as connecting the iPod and Calculator, there are several methods.

I used my iPod Dock, which has a mini-usb port, and used a cable that has 2 mini-usb ends on it to connect.

You can also buy a Male Mini-USB to Female USB Adapter, and plug the iPod cable into that.

But all-in-all you are basically trying to connect a Mini-USB (the calculator) to a USB (the USB end of the iPod cable), so whatever you find that works use it.
  7. crdnilfan

crdnilfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. jakew02

jakew02 New Member

it worked fine for me.

but is now irrelevant with them releasing the untethered patched LLB