[HOWTO] Backup contacts, calendars, bookmarks and webclips on iPod Touch 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jpmassena, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jpmassena

jpmassena New Member

Hi guys!

I was swarching around a way to backup all my personal data to get it back after a restore. I didn't find anything usefull, so I researched myself and found an easy way to do it.

So let's start:

First of all you want to ssh into your ipod, using winscp, cuteftp or whatever you prefer. I'm using filezilla on linux. After that, you want to go to the following folder:

/private/var/mobile/Library/

In here you'll find all the personal preferences of the apps on your ipod.
    Now you will create a folder on your computer to hold the folders that are on the iPod.

1- Contacts
    To backup the contacts all you have to do is copy the "AddressBook" folder from your ipod to the folder that you've created on your computer.

2- Calendar
    Copy the "Calendar" folder to your computer.

3- Safari Bookmarks
    To backup the bookmarks, copy the file "Bookmarks.plist" inside the "Safari" folder to your computer. That is if you don't want to backup the History and the last open session. If you want to keep those too, just copy the entire "Safari" folder from the iPod to the computer.

4- Webclips
    Just copy the "WebClips" folder to the computer.

5- Youtube Bookmarks
    Copy the "Youtube" folder to the computer.

You will find more folders on /private/var/mobile/Library/, like maps, but I didn't tested them yet, but I bet they'll work the same way.

After copying all the folders that you want to backup to your computer, just do the restore of the iPod.

When you're done with that, and have installed all the applications that you've backuped data, just go to the same folder (/private/var/mobile/Library/) on your iPod and replace all the folders. just in case, set the file attributes of all the folders and files to "777", because it was that attributes that I've found to be on the original files.

By the way, if you are not on a 1.1.3 firmware, the folder are not /private/var/mobile/Library/, but /private/var/root/Library/

I hope that this will help. And I want to apologize for my english, I'm portuguese
  2. jmarrrio

jmarrrio New Member

Very nice I really needed that calendar backup thanks =)

Question: is there a way to add a contact list via SSH to the contacts app? to skip te process of adding them one by one.
  3. kimura

kimura New Member

What about those entries in Notes? How to backup?

4. Theliel

Theliel New Member

/private/var/mobile/Library/Notes
  5. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    same way (notes.dll) (i think)
  6. jmarrrio

jmarrrio New Member

Where do I restore the calendar backup on 1.1.4? I restored the Calendar file there in /private/var/mobile/Library/ but when I open the calendar its empty =(
  7. tonym1821

tonym1821 New Member

is there any way that i can backup my apps without winscp? if there is let me know. Thanks
  8. kimura

kimura New Member

I tried to copy my old notes.db back to my new jailbroken ipod touch (Notes Folder) but the notes are still empty. What's seem to be the matter?
  9. amcan

amcan New Member

Where are bookmarks, contacts, notes, etc. on 1.1.4? Just spent 2 hours looking for them without any luck...
  10. iKan

iKan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    any way that u can back up personal from 1 firm than restore to anuther

hay I have tryed 2 dif ways to back up from 1 firm than restore to anuther and thay bouth semm not to work

Please Register or Log in to view images

1 was iFile
    I have not tryed this one yet but it seams that same ..prety much