HOWTO: Add videos to MxTube even if MxTube no longer works to download videos

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mcc99, May 25, 2009.

1. mcc99

mcc99 New Member

This is for folks who are still on 1.1.4 and earlier, like myself, and for whom MxTube is now incapable of DLing vids from YT.

If you want to be able to add vids to MxTube's list of playable videos but cannot use MxTube anymore to download files, here's how to use it:

1. Download some video you want to play in MxTube. Actually, it need not be found on YouTube. It need only be in .mp4 format. You can use any number of free converters to get a file of whatever format into .mp4. I use the Any Video converter free edition myself but there are others.
    2. Use WinSCP or some other telnet-based browser to log into your jailbroken iPod touch.
    3. Navigate to /private/var/Mobile/Library/MxTube and retrieve the VideoLibrary.plist file to your PC. It is this copy you will be editing.
    4. Open VideoLibrary.plist in Notepad or WordPad and copy any current "dict" entry therein and past it back into the file just before the </array> tag.
    5. Update the 'duration' string tag entry with the actual duration of the .mp4 video you want to add. you can find this by opening the file in the RealVideo player, or some other player.
    6. Update the 'title' string entry with the actual title you want to see for the video.
    7. Update the 'id' string entry with some new unique id string. I usually just change the last letter in the copied entry to something else.
    8. Update the 'thumbnail' string entry to reflect the same name as the id string from step 7, only it ends not in '.mp4' but in '.THM'.
    9. Update the videoHigh string entry to reflect the same name is given in the 'id' string, only it will end in '.mp4'. This will be the new name for your video file when you copy i onto your iPod. And, make sure you preserve the '/var/mobile/Media/MxTube/' path.
    10. Save the edited VideoLibrary.plist file.
    11. Note the new name of the .mp4 file reference created in step 9. That will be the new name of the .mp4 file you want to transfer to your iPod.
    12. Backup the current VideoLibrary.plist file on your iPod by renaming it.
    13. Transfer the new VideoLibrary.plist file from your desktop to the iPod at /private/var/Mobile/Library/MxTube
    14. Now change directories in your iPod to /private/var/Mobile/Media/MxTube
    15. Locate the .mp4 file you want to copy onto your iPod on your PC and rename it to the new name noted in step 9.
    16. Copy the renamed .mp4 to your iPod into /private/var/Mobile/Library/MxTube
    17. The icon file used to represent a video in the MxTube video list has a file ending '.THM'. The file format for that is actually PNG. So what you need to do is create a PNG file using something like MSPaint and create an icon for your video file. The dimensions should be 128x96 pixels. You can use a screen cap from the video or whatever, it doesn't much matter.
    18. Make sure your icon file is a .png file but with the file ending '.THM'. If the dimensions are also correct, it's ready for use. Rename it to match the name of the .mp4 file you just copied over, but its file extension is '.THM' instead of '.mp4'.
    19. As with the .mp4 file, copy the .THM file over to /private/var/Mobile/Media/MxTube
    20. Now run MxTube and you should see your newly-added video available for viewing.

20 easy steps, no problem. =)
  2. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've done this myself, and I can confirm that it works.

May I ask why you haven't updated to 2.2.1?
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Quick fix.

Update to 2.2.1.

Better yet save 9.95 and wait for 3.0
  4. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No kidding.
  5. mcc99

mcc99 New Member

Re: Why not upgrade firmware...?

"May I ask why you haven't updated to 2.2.1?"

Because I love voiding warranties! But, I do not love restoring all the stuff I did to my 'pod ever time Apple has a spasm and insists on releasing new firmware to frack up everyone's carefully-jailbroken units.
  6. Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    *EASIER SOLUTION* (iFILE alternative)
    HOW TO ADD VIDEOS ONTO MXTUBE
    HOW TO WATCH INVISIBLE MXTUBE VIDEOS

I know this is an old thread but in case people might want to try a different method...

Start by putting the videos into the mxtube file using an ssh program
    I use iFunbox (http://www.i-funbox.com/)
    The mxtube file is located in Raw File System/var/mobile/media/mxtube
    *Make sure the videos are mp4*

Once completed , reboot your device
    Now... on your ipod/iphone

1) Download iFile off of Cydia (or get it free with [PIRACY] using the repo "cydia.[PIRACY].com")
    2) Once started you should see "var" near the bottom of the list
    3) navigate to var/mobile/media/mxtube (just like iFunbox)
    4) there you should see your videos and you can watch them from there, even though they don't appear on mxtube

you can do whatever you want with the videos now!
    Hope this helped! Contact me if you need help with anything I can most likely help you!