How would I set up my wireless internet?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Mr Deftino, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have a weird connection. I need to buy an ADSL router, I went out and bought one today but it turns out it was cable so imma have to return it ^^ silly me. Anyhoo, this is my very amateur production of what my current connection setup is.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I just wondered how I'd set up my connection using an ADSL Router plugged into the phone socket at the bottom of the stairs and a USB dongle in my PC.

Thanks in advance.
  2. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Run a standard ethernet cable out of the back of the ADSL thing into your wireless router, THEN go from the router to your computer with an ethernet cable. Ethernet cables are the way to go, i would avoid connecting with USB anyways.

I think this answers what you're talking about but i could be totally wrong since im not fimiliar with DSL or ADSL modem things.

EDIT: Ohhh so the ADSL thing IS the router and you need it cause that sagem thing doesnt have ethernet out, only USB??
  3. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah, theres just wires coming from my Phone Socket that goes to the ADSL Sagem thing, it acts as the modem, and only has a USB out, otherwise I'd plug my Xbox Ethernet cable striaght into the back of it, but I had to plug it directly into the Ethernet port on my PC.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If it only puts out a signal on a USB line, then you wont be able to use a router.
  5. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I can, my friend had the same ADSL modem I have and he now has a router. All I need to do is get rid of my ADSL modem and replace it with a router right?
  6. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Routers dont decode internet. You need a modem no matter what you do.
    The connection order would be, Wall > Modem > Router > PC's/Wireless.
  7. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ahh yes, I sat and thought and worked it out ^^. Meh, I'll need to buy a new modem..that sucks...then get the router and USB yeah? Then run a cable from wall to modem, then link the modem to Router thru Ethernet cable? Then send signal to PC amirite?
  8. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yea, you dont even need a USB. You will get a much better data signal through a ethernet cable. The regular phone line should go from the wall to your modem. Call your ISP and ask if they can sell/upgrade your modem, or get the details on what kind you can buy. Some may even come with built in routers. Tho if you want wi-fi you will likely have to buy your own router and USB/Ethernet Bridge connection.
  9. Mr Deftino

Mr Deftino New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I wana use USB, otherwise running an ethernet cable up the stairs into my computer pretty much defeats the object of me getting wireless in the first place. Here is my amateur drawing of what my internet should be WHEN I get a router or modem.

Please Register or Log in to view images

So it's like that aye? If I were to use the USB and modem, and want Wi-Fi.
  10. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yea thats about it. Just make sure that when you get a moden, from your provider or elsewhere, make sure to specify that you want the one that has output via ethernet cable. Once you have that, almost any router should work.