How will people distribute their apps with SDK? Answered here

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touchnoob0211, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    "You're a developer. What is your dream? Your dream is to get it in front of every iPhone user. That's not possible today. Even big developers would have a hard time getting their app in front of every iPhone user. We're going to solve it, with what we call the App Store, an application we've written to deliver apps to the iPhone. And we're going to put it on every single iPhone with the next release of the software."

macworld update @ 11:03.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/132376/2008/03/liveupdate.html?t=213
  2. tonybeyondo

tonybeyondo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

I think they just killed Installer.app
  3. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

I agree. Actually, some people might stick with it, depending on how long it is until app store is on our touches/phones, but...

I can't wait! 70/30 dev/apple structure seems very fair.

Looks like June?

"It will again combine the SDK + the new capabilities, there will be a beta release going out today to thousands of developers. We need their fantastic feedback. We're going to ship this to every iPhone customer in June, and it's going to be a free software update." Mild applause.

- Steve Jobs
  4. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Yeah deffinatly, I just wish I had a Mac and could program

5. 318aye

318aye New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    all that is contingent on whether or not dev's get greedy, it's dependent on the developer to make them free. I'm glad apple is allowing that though, and i think many users will stick with installer and jb untill we see apps like summerboard and customize as well as vnc and sip voip offered by apple.
  6. Hmerly

Hmerly New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This will not kill installer at all. Installer will still be around for people who don't want to pay to $99 dollar to become an official apple developer. it'll also be around for people not wanting to pay this "nominal fee" that Touch users are going to be charged. It'll also be around for people who don't wish to pay for all these apps that'll come out eventually.
  7. maggisam

maggisam New Member

I am guessing also the installer app will be used to distribute apps that apple has banned. fx SIM Card hack and EU max volume hack
  8. anubis2night

anubis2night New Member

agreed, if anything i think you'll see the existing installer getting more robust thanks to this new interface adn ease of use. I can see the dev guys creating alot more tools with these for the JB community than we've had yet. Think about it, Apple just realeased some interesting stuff but then look at what our guys have done if anything with the proper tools they should be able to create something that is far beyond the app store and be up and running in weeks not months...

9. agentmes

agentmes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is taken from the Q&A from after the conferance.

Q: "How likely will there be a VoIP?"

A: "We will only limit over cellular -- if you want to dev them for WiFi, that's fine."
  10. stvy

stvy New Member

Took from the interview QA:
    Anyhow, AppStore wont kill in any ways Installler.app or any kind of not-official way of distributing apps. Until June, a lot can -and it will- happen. So dont try guessing whats gonna be like some of you did about the SDK since now we know NOTHING about it, unless its the date of 2.0 firmware release.