iPhone 3GS How to view 720p videos on iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMAN94, Sep 1, 2010.

1. JMAN94

JMAN94 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Hey, I recently stumbled upon a guide on how to view 720p video on the iPhone 3GS and I decided to share the tutorial with all of you here! I also searched if there was a tutorial already on this, however, there wasn't so I decided to put up the this tutorial! Thanks to Chris Poulton for the guide!
    *I havent had the time to test this, but if it works or doesn't can you please leave a comment*

(Taken directly off of Chris Poulton's blog) :
    "If like me you download a lot of video it sometimes nice to watch it on your TV. I often use my iPhone for this but film and TV always display in low quality when watched from my iPhone on my 40inch TV via the AV cable. The reason for this is because of the low resolution encode supported by the iPhone 3gs 480p. The new iPhone 4 support 720p but what apple doesn’t tell you is that so does the 3gs. This function has been disabled in iTunes. When you try to upload a 720p video iTunes give a message saying your device doesn’t support this video standard. They are telling porky pies.
    You can actually play 720p video from a 3gs and watch a good picture on your 720p TV. Here’s how I did it.

Firstly you will need a jailbroken iPhone 3gs.
    Then you need to download ifunbox http://www.i-funbox.com/

In cydia install the afc2add patch this will allow ifunbox to browse the root file structure on your iPhone

Next install ifile or similar this will allow you browse the root file system from your device.

Ok now all you need to do is create your 720p .mov type file. I use xilisoft video converter ultimate for this you could use the iPhone version or another app. I convert the video into a h.264 720p resolution format.

I then open ifumbox and browse my iPhone root directory. I upload my file to /var/mobile/documents you can use any root but I know this one to be safe.
    Simple you just play from there."

(Once again, this was taken directly from Chris Poulton's blog, credits to him for this tutorial.)
  2. Janet

Janet Banned

hmm, thanx for sharing this helpfull tips.
    Well, I think to watch 720p videos on iPhone 3GS not always need to jailbreak the iPhone, also just can get the video to iPhone 3GS via converting, I run into iFunia iPhone column found an article "Convert video to iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS on Mac"-> Discover how to convert any video(including HD video) to iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS on Mac, gives the detailed steps to do.
    hmm, I haven't test too, but can have a try.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

use the vlc app
  4. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I've tried. 720P using a software decode app isn't going to work. And it doesn't. It's terribly laggy. If Apple allowed developers the ability to hardware-accelerate VLC it would definitely be possible but Apple has silly restrictions and it won't happen.
  5. chucklz_smiley

chucklz_smiley Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Buzz Player app plays 720p back perfectly ive never had any lag using it
  6. JoshH100

JoshH100 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I don't know why but the vlc app is terrable for higher resolution videos. I put a 720p in vlc and it says my ipt4 isn't fast enough to play it. I use ifile or mxtube and it plays perfectly.
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    those apps and ifile downscale the videos bit to fit on ur screen so it isn't really 720p. VLC tries to run 720p natively.
  8. JoshH100

JoshH100 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    oh yes vlc will sooo be able to play 1280x720 video on a 960x640 device. Why does vlc do that? its not going to look any better.