Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

iPhone 4 [How To] Use Straight Talk prepaid with iPhone 4 / 4S / iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nitsua93, Nov 25, 2011.

1. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Apparently you can bring up the APN settings without being jailbroken if you plug in a T-Mobile SIM, open Settings, navigate General -> Network, and open the "Network settings" menu that appears when an unrecognized SIM is entered. Then, put the StraightTalk SIM into the iPhone with the "Network settings" menu still open, enter the correct settings, wait for the carrier to be recognized and show in the status bar, then save them. I have yet to try it, (need to cut down my T-Mobile SIM,) but it would be awesome if it works.

My brother's 4s arrives tomorrow, and I'm setting up StraightTalk for him. Will be interesting... Apparently you need to have data before using this method to change the MMS APN, so I'd navigate to that unlockit.nz or whatnot site and download the APN settings to enable data first. (But if I can enter them in the Network settings menu anyway I might as well try to do it without needing to install profiles first.)

Will post back to say if it works or not.
  2. mishka

mishka New Member

????

If I put the sim card in my unactivated iPhone 4S will it activate the phone for me or do I need to have it activated prior to putting the sim card in?
  3. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yay!

I can confirm that putting the T-Mobile SIM into the iPhone 4s brings up the Cellular Network Settings menu, and I just input the info [MENTION=318399]stewidre1[/MENTION] posted and it was good and ready to go. I tried with StraightTalk's own provided info, and a few things like the proxy were different and it didn't seem to work, but I was an idiot and didn't restart the device until after trying [MENTION=318399]stewidre1[/MENTION]'s info, so I don't know if it would've worked or not.

Siri worked before, but now currently seems down, so IDK. Everything else works too. Except weather. Data works, but the weather app doesn't want to. It could be that he has yet to actually set up the phone with an Apple account, so I'll put it to that first. (Oh, and I disabled some of the location settings, so that could be it.) The 3G is rather quick too...

Now to actually set up everything... (iMessage, Facetime, his Apple account, etc...) Then give him the tour. He's new to "Apple."
  4. summerguy03

summerguy03 New Member

Independent SIM vs Nokia SIM

Hi, so I just thought this question should be asked. Can someone perhaps nitsua) confirm that the independent SIM cards Straight Talk is selling work exactly the same way and exactly as well as the Nokia e71 SIMs? I could just see Straight Talk doing something like removing HSPA+ capability on their independent SIMS to cut down on bandwidth usage by customers, or having some other kind of restriction or something.

If it's the same exact thing I'll just go with the independent SIM, but if the Nokia SIM has some capability that is restricted on the independent SIM, or if the independent SIM has some kind of speed cap or some other stupid restriction, maybe I'll just stick with the Nokia SIM.
  5. nitsua93

nitsua93 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I updated the first post with a bunch of new info. Thanks [MENTION=301579]APVangeliLMS[/MENTION]!
  6. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yup, Siri and weather started working once I turned on some of the location services. So everything works perfectly! :D

Awesome!

I suppose I could explain the process using a T-Mobile SIM a bit better though.

How to change APN settings for Data and MMS on iPhone (WITHOUT JAILBREAK)

Have a T-Mobile SIM card, it's required to use this method. It can be out of service. (I have an old one from when I used T-Mobile on my iPhone 3G, I cut it down to fit in the iPhone 4s.)

After first plugging in the Straight Talk SIM and seeing that calls work, take it out and navigate into Settings>General>Network, and plug in the T-Mobile SIM card. A message about Voicemail may appear, depending if the card previously had service or not, disregard it.

Now tap on the "Cellular Network Settings" menu that appears. Once it's open, take out the T-Mobile SIM card. (If you leave it in long enough, the iPhone will bring up the initial iPhone setup, taking the SIM card out just brings you right back to the Cellular Network Settings menu again.)

Now, enter this info into the boxes where it is available (courtesy of [MENTION=318399]stewidre1[/MENTION] ):

Now, some of these fields don't exist in the menu, so they don't need to be entered. Some fields on the iPhone exist but aren't shown here, so don't enter anything in those either.

While having this menu still open, plug in the Straight Talk SIM card. Wait for it to appear in the status bar, then go back into the previous menu if all of the info has been entered, and restart the device by holding down the lock button and sliding the power off slider. (I don't know if a hard reset would save the APN settings or not, just do a normal power off.)

Now everything SHOULD work perfectly once booted up. No need to go to unlock.it.nz (or whatever) for data, or jailbreak to get it done with this method. I tried this on an AT&T iPhone 4s on 5.0.1 and it works perfectly.
  7. maka

maka Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    so now they lowered it to a 2gb cap? Me and my wife are switching over to the iphones and straight talk thanks to this thread btw!!! I bought me a iphone 4s and she has a 4. My sim card will be in in another 2 days. I already have everything set up and ready to go...
  8. mishka

mishka New Member

It all works!

Got my straight talk sim in yesterday and so far so good. Just popped it in my iPhone 4S and it activated the phone. Only problems are that I can't connect to my home wifi network but it seems to be a common 4S problem that can be solved.
    Siri had trouble working on my 3G at first but a few network restarts and reboots later she's up and running. One thing that worked wonders on jump starting siri was double-clicking the home button and deleting the open apps listed. I don't know how that helps but after I did that and restarted it was working.

I had the AT&T go phone sim in a iPhone 4 before this and the straight talk sim works a lot better. 3G on straight talk is amazing no problems yet.
  9. maka

maka Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    My sim will be in tomorrow. Funny thing is I have an unlockable iphone 4 sitting on my desk and my 4s. I will not stop using my tmobile galaxy s2 until I can switch sims over.... But I keep my 4s sitting in my pocket and play games on it. My wifes white iphone 4 should be in next week... Im happy Im going to have 3g but this data cap is starting to upset me...
  10. maka

maka Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Mine came in a day early!! Im setting it up now.