Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

iPhone 4 [How To] Use Straight Talk prepaid with iPhone 4 / 4S / iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nitsua93, Nov 25, 2011.

1. nitsua93

nitsua93 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    EDIT: Straight Talk now provides sim cards for purchase at straighttalksim.com making buying a phone and cutting a sim card irrelevant. So skip down to step 4 if you buy a sim card!

Straight Talk Has a pretty good "unlimited" everything plan, for $45/month. In this guide I'll show you how to use Straight Talk with an iPhone 4 or older iPhone.

First things first: What's with the "unlimited"?
    Straight Talk actually has a 5GB 2GB data cap. If you exceed 5GB 2GB they'll turn off your data and make you do a survey over the phone to re-activate it. It's questions like "Do you use a lot of data" "Do you tether?" and "Are you using a SIM card in another phone?" It's dumb stuff that you need to answer correctly. They'll also tell you how to use less data. It takes about 10 minutes. Also, tethering and large file downloads are a no-no, doing those will set off a red flag over at HQ. Also, it seems to be throttled at 1.5mpbs.

Does this require an unlock?
    Nope! Straight Talk is on AT&T's network so no unlock is required for an AT&T branded phone.

What works?
    Everything {phone, text, data.) The only thing that won't work is MMS, which can be made to work with jailbreaking. Alternatively, you can also do by following [MENTION=301579]APVangeliLMS[/MENTION]'s method here.

How long have you used this?
    For almost a year now I believe.

What are the data speeds like?
    I can get anywhere between 1.5 mbps and 3mbps. I average 1.5mbps though, which isn't bad at all.

How stable is it?
    Completely! The data has only gone down once before since I've used it, and that was for maintenance.

Do I really need to buy that stupid Nokia phone?
    Sadly, yes :( You also have to keep, no returning it, no selling it, no re-activating it. If you do any of those, your account is deleted. No! You can now buy sim cards at straighttalksim.com!

What do I need?
    This is what sucks, the most important thing you need is the Nokia e71 phone from Straight Talk. It's currently $170 but usually costs $200.
    You also need an iPhone, (durrrr) and possibly a SIM cutter if you don't trust yourself with a pair of scissors. All you need is to buy a sim card from Straight Talk! You will need a micro sim if you're using the 4/4S.

All right! Let's do this!
    Step 1: Go to Wal-Mart (they're the only ones who carry Straight Talk) and buy the $45 "unlimited" plan.

Step 2: Activate your sim card following Straight Talk's directions.

Step 3: Pull that SIM card out of your Nokia phone and cut it (if using an iPhone 4 or 4S) to size. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CUT IT TO SMALL! If you need to, then borrow a friends Micro SIM for reference. Wired or Google. This step has been completely eliminated now that we can buy a sim card from Straight Talk.

Step 4: Put the SIM into your iPhone.

Step 5: Talk and text should work now, give it a test. (iMessage will not work yet, since it requires data/MMS.)

If you don't want/can't jailbreak do step 6. If you want to jailbreak skip step 6 and go to the next section.

Step 6: Get on Wi-Fi and visit http://unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone. Tap "Continue", Tap "Custom APN" and in the "Choose Carrier" wheel is Straight Talk! (If that doesn't work then the APN is att.mvno) TA-DA! After installing the profile you now have 3G completely working! No jailbreak or unlock required!

If you're jailbreaking your iPhone you need to install TetherMe APN editing from Cydia.
    You can install the TetherMe APN editing package without buying TetherMe. The only licensed TetherMe package is the one that enables tethering. The TetherMe APN editing package should install without having to purchase TetherMe.

Go to Settings.app -> General Setting -> Cellular Data Network and input these fields.

Code:
    Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL:
    You can uninstall TetherMe after completing and testing this. (I did)

If you need any help, or have any questions, let me know! I've been using this for almost a year and I love it! I belive this will work completely (except for MMS) on an iPhone 4S, it should also be capable of the "HSPA+" That iPhone 4S is capable of.

Update: After a little research the the nokia 6790 also works, and only costs $50.
    (This is if you buy the Nokia phone!)
    The SIM card MUST say something very similar to TF64PSIMC4. If it does not have the P it will not work. So when you open the phone, check the SIM card's number.
    Krystlep09 likes this.
  2. SomaliMahamed

SomaliMahamed Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    :eek: I thought it was using the t-mobile network..
  3. JMSwan

JMSwan Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you think you could try to figure out this and make a com.apple.mms_override.plist to work with Straight Talk?

Edit: I made this but I am not accountable if it doesn't work.
  4. Robert Kent

Robert Kent Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What happens after you complete the survey? Is data turned off for the remainder of the month?

Clear.com has unlimited 4G starting at $35.00 per month. The only catch is that you need to carry a wireless device with you and those cost $39.99. I'm thinking about getting one of these and using Skype or Line2.
  5. JMSwan

JMSwan Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This was not the correct thread to state that. If you are going to that though, It won't be nearly as good as having an actual iPhone and you should probably use Talkatone/Google Voice.
  6. nitsua93

nitsua93 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Your data will be re-activated.
  7. nitsua93

nitsua93 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I should be able to confirm that this works on the iPhone 4S pretty soon!
  8. summerguy03

summerguy03 New Member

MMS & Tethering on iPhone 4S?

Hey Nitsua, thanks for posting all this, this is great stuff. I just have two quick questions for you. First, when you try this out on the iPhone 4S, can you let us know if that trick you mentioned at the end of your first post saying the iBackup bot can be used to enable MMS without jailbreaking really works? Everyone out there makes it sound like jailbreaking is always REQUIRED to get it to work so I'm curious to hear if it'll work on the new phone.

Second, could you also let us know if tethering works on the 4S? According to the comments section of this website...

http://aaltonen.us/2011/10/20/iphone-4s-meet-your-new-45-unlimited-everything-plan/comment-page-1/#comment-29657

...NoTetheringOn4S wrote on November 23rd at 5:20am that the new version of iOS has disabled tethering and there isn't a known way around it. I've heard of the option suddenly "popping back up" on the iPhone for some people but it sounds pretty iffy.

Thanks again!
  9. nitsua93

nitsua93 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That's a nice guide there. Yes, I'll definitely try to activate MMS with iBackupbot since I use MMS frequently. I'm not sure about enabling tethering, but I'll find out for you!
  10. JMSwan

JMSwan Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh. Question, what does your phone say where it usually says AT&T/Sprint/Verizon? Up near the Network Quality.