iOS 4.0 how to use ipod out feature

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by k6ng6r00, Aug 8, 2010.

1. k6ng6r00

k6ng6r00 New Member

I accidentally just discovered something really really cool, but i need help figuring out how to use it. I jail broke my ipod touch 3rd gen ios4 yesterday, and today i noticed these random white icon apps that came up on my home screen. I happened to click on the one called iPod Out with my ipod plugged into my av cable in the car, and this is what happened!!!:

Please Register or Log in to view images

i did a little research, and all i could come up with is that ipod out is a new feature in ios4 which essentially turns the ipod into an apple tv (slightly dumbed down albeit) when its connected to a tv. But what i couldn't come up with, is how to control it. so far i haven't been able to move around in the menu at all, all i have been able to do is get it to play music by double tapping the home button and using the multitasking ipod controls. here is what you get when you are playing a song

So while this is still really cool, and much better than just an audio line in when playing music in the car, i want to figure out how to get the menu system to work. Right now all i can do is skip forward and backward and pause with the controls on the multiasking bar, and i was able to use the apple headphones remote to do the same thing. I tried using my apple remote with the universal dock, and all it would do is skip forward/backward and play/pause. Im not sure if that is because my dock is older, or if that isnt how apple wants this software to be used, or what, but there has to be some way, even if it requires some kind of jailbroken app, to gain control of that menu. My goal is to get the apple remote to work with it, and then program my steering wheel button ir interface and have my steering wheel buttons navigate the menus, then i can just throw my ipod in the glove box and forget about it.
  2. PackerEagles10

PackerEagles10 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Very cool. How about you get to work creating that. Actually that would make humans lazy.
  3. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    The white icons appear sometimes when booting up or respringing.I get em occasionally.They usually go away after a respring.

But yeah this is pretty awesome.I'm curious on more about this.
  4. k6ng6r00

k6ng6r00 New Member

This video shows this being used in new BMWs and controlling it with the i drive knob:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0SRzd40s4
    So it appears that it was designed to be used in the car, all we have to do is figure out how to control it. The apple remote would work pretty good for a start, and maybe eventually it would be possible to use the touch screen head unit?
  5. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    More investigation should go into this.This is a very cool find.
  6. Jkownz

Jkownz Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is there a way to easily get those white icons to appear on the springboard?
  7. k6ng6r00

k6ng6r00 New Member

They just randomly came up for me. They went away earlier but i was able to get back into the mode by going into the multitasking bar and the ipod out icon was still in there as a recent app, so if you get them once and lose them, thats one way to get it back
  8. Psyko

Psyko Member

Search iPodOut in Spotlight

9. k6ng6r00

k6ng6r00 New Member

is there someone with the newer universal dock that can try the remote with this and see if it responds? mine is the older one with the circular ir window
  10. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

I usually get em when I press the home button and the app I'm in doesn't close right away.