How to use an alpha-numeric Passcode Lock. (a-z/1-9)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SauteedGuy, Aug 31, 2009.

1. SauteedGuy

SauteedGuy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am creating this post on my iPod Touch so give me a break.

1. Install this Configuration Utility
    it is the configuration utility that you are going to use.

If you have windows you may have 2 extra steps. The reason for this is that in order to be able to install the configuration utility you need to have Windows .NET framework 3.5 and in order to be able to install that you need Windows Installer 3.1 so I am just going to list them all here to make it easier on you all.

If you have a Mac skip to step 4.

2. Download And run Windows Installer 3.1

3. Download and run Microsoft .NET framework 3.5

4. Run the Configuration Utility Program. In the sidebar to the left make sure Configuration Profiles is selected. In the top left click New.

5. Enter the info like the profile name and identifer which can be anyhting you like. Make sure the boxes Require Passcode on device and Allow Simple Values are checked. Set Autolock to 0. It would be best for you too keep everything else as-is.

6. Click Export in the top left corner of the screen. A message will come up, click ok. Export it to the desktop.

7. Choose an email of your choose and send the file (something.mobile or something like that) to your iPod email as an attachment.

8. Click on the attachment in your email on your iPod touch. Something should come up, click install. It should have you put in a password using the keyboard with alphabet on it. Type in the password you want and press return (or whatever it says in the top right corner of the screen. By default if you put in the passcode in incorrectly twice it will erase all the memory on your iPod.

9. You can now go into settings on your iPod home screen and click default, then Profiles. Make the swipe gesture (pull your finger across the screen from left to right) and click delete to delete the profile. You should still have the alphanumeric passcode you entered with the keyboard from before. If you press the home key then go to setting then general again and click on passcode lock, the erase all data after failed passcode attempts option should be at no. If not just slide it over to no unless you want it that way. You canalso change your passcode using your iPod and it will still let you use alphanumeric digits.

Hope this helped. I love it.

Credits to ScribeOne's post http://www.ifans.com/forums/....php?t=238088n

I actually just rewrote it better and added some helpful tips and details. Sorry wasn't trying to take credit for something I didn't actually do all by myself.
  2. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Way to use the search function. This was discovered by me like 8 months ago and discussed better here.
  3. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. SauteedGuy

SauteedGuy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ya I saw the other guys post cus he actually answered a question of mine but the link he have me
    has a pretty crappy tut so i figured I could rewrite. He also didn't mention you could delete the profiles and still have the keyboard and you cab even change the passcode. Also sorry bout that baggy didn't think of using rhensearch
    button. I was
    gonna give credit bit I was writing thos on my iPod in the
    middle of the night and o was ties
    and wrist were starting to hert. Sorry I'll look next time.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ya I just looked at my spelling and it sucks cus I be on my iPod. Gotta go tho no Time to fix it.
  5. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh, sorry for me yelling at you.

I thought you were some douchebag trying to take credit for other pplz work.
    Didnt realize you were on your iPod and you were sleepy

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would suggest you edit the post and put a link to the original post and credit for the guy at the bottom of the tutorial.
  6. SauteedGuy

SauteedGuy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well the guy sorta did that already but I guess I should make sure he gets credit.
  7. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i tried this a while ago but it got annoying
  8. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its not too hard...