iOS 6.0 How to upgrade your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to iOS 6

Discussion in 'General iOS discussions' started by Tkf1, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    [​IMG]

iOS 6 will be hitting the streets worldwide on September 19th. If you’re new to the upgrade process, or simply want to know more. We'll help you upgrade your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to iOS 6 with this step-by-step guide.

Will my device will run iOS 6?
    [​IMG]
    iOS 6 will be available as a free update for all supported devices in the fall. Although not all features are supported (more on that below) on all devices -- or all generations of all devices -- iOS 6 can be installed on the following:
    • iPhone 3GS
    • iPhone 4 GSM
    • iPhone 4 CDMA
    • iPhone 4S
    • iPhone 5
    • iPad 2nd Generation
    • iPad 3rd Generation
    • iPod touch 4th Generation
    • iPod touch 5th Generation
    • Apple TV 2
    • Apple TV 3
    The original iPad and iPod touch 3rd generation will not be receiving the free iOS 6 update. iOS 5.1.1 will be the last firmware update available to you. If you have an original iPhone, iPhone 3G, or first- or second-generation iPod touch you will also not be receiving iOS 6. iOS 4.2.1 will be the last firmware update for your Pod touch second-generation or iPhone 3G, while earlier devices will be stuck on iOS 3.1.3.

Getting Ready

So if your device is capable of running iOS 6, here’s what you need to upgrade: your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad: a computer with the latest version of iTunes (10.7). (If you don’t have it, you can download it from Apple’s website.)and a working Internet connection or an a compatibly device running iOS 5 also with a working Internet connection.

We suggest that you make a backup of your device before proceeding. So let's backup your device. You can backup via iCloud or iTunes. We'll cover both.

Backing up: iTunes

To make a backup via iTunes: connect your device to your computer via USB and open iTunes. To do this right click on the device name and select Back Up as seen below. This should automatically backup your device via iTunes backup.

ttr.png

Backing up: iCloud

To initiate a manual backup via iCloud: open Settings and tap iCloud's setting panel. On the bottom panel your find Storage & Backup tap it and then tap Backup now on the bottom. This will initiate a manual backup via iCloud. This may take a while to complete depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi connection and what you have to backup.

Updating your device

Now that you've prepared and backed up your device you have the option of updating OTA (over-the-air) on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad or via iTunes. Again, we'll cover both.

Updating your device: iTunes

xsd.PNG

To begin, open up iTunes and click on your device. Under the Summary tab click Check For Update button. This will prompt iTunes to check for an firmware update for your device. If all goes well you'll be prompted to download and install iOS 6 or download it but install later. You can also choose to back out by hitting Cancel.

[​IMG]

iOS 6 will download and install on your compatible device. This may take a while. Please be patient. You may want to do other tasks while waiting for the download to finish and install. Once it does, your device will restart with iOS 6.

[​IMG]

Updating your device: OTA

Untitled-3.png

Your device will check constantly to check when a new firmware is out. You'll be prompted to update from there. But let's check manually instead. Launch the Settings app and head to General and tap Software Update.

calendarappnotification_large.png

Assuming iOS 6 have been pushed for your device out you'll be presented with all the details about the new update. You can learn more about iOS 6 by visiting this thread. Tap Download and Install. But before you install you need to agree to the Terms and Conditions.

agree.png

Your device shall ask you to connect to a power source, so plug your device in. The speed of the download will depend on your Wi-Fi connection. This update cannot be preformed over cellular networks. When the download is complete, like the iTunes method you can download it, but install later or install it right away. But once it's finished downloading, you'll be prompted to install it for your device. If you don't hit Later or Install within a few seconds, it will install on your behalf. Let's install it shall we? But before you install you need to agree to the Terms and Conditions yet again. Then Apple will verify the install and your device will now be running iOS 6.

agree.png 22.png

Should you upgrade?

You should take these two thoughts into consideration: first, if you're on older and slower hardware like the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch fourth generation and you're reading this just as iOS 6 becomes available, you might want to wait a few days and make sure there aren't any reports of excessive sluggishness or other issues. Second, if you're jailbroken and like to remain jailbroken, and don't like tethered jailbreaks, you might want to wait until an iOS 6 jailbreak for your device is released. (iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5 might take a while.) Otherwise iOS 6 is a fantastic update with incredible new functionality -- and it's free. It will take your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch in a entirely new direction.

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ:

What features are compatible with my device?
    • Siri and Voice Diction require iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th generation or new iPad (3rd generation).
    • Panorama camera requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5th generation.
    • Shared Photo Streams require iPhone 3GS or later or iPad 2 or later.
    • Flyover require iPhone 4S iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th generation or iPad 2 or later.
    • Passbook is iPhone and iPod touch only.
    • FaceTime over 3G requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or new iPad (3rd generation).
    • Turn-by-turn navigation require iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th generation or iPad 2 or later.
    • VIP list, VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes require iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch 4G or later, iPad 2 or later.
    • Offline Reading List require iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later.
    • AirPlay Mirroring require iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th generation or iPad 2 or later.
    Is there Facebook integration?
    • Yes, along with Twitter integration from iOS 5.
    Does Maps still use Google Maps and have Street View?
    • No, iOS 6 has been redesigned to include Apple's own maps. You can still download Google Earth to access Google Maps.
    Does iOS 6 include widgets or toggles?
    • No. But you can view stocks, weather and post tweets or update your Facebook status from Notification Center.
    Does iOS 6 include a YouTube app?
    • No, the license to include the YouTube app in iOS has expired. You can access YouTube from Safari (or other browsers) and Google also released on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.
    Can iOS 6 be jailbroken?
    • Yes, with the latest version of Redsn0w on the following devices:
      • iPod touch 4G
      • iPhone 3GS
      • iPhone4 (GSM)
      • iPhone4 (CDMA)
      • You can follow this guide to jailbreak iOS 6.
        • Let it be noted that this is a tethered jailbreak meaning you will need to re-apply the jailbreak each time you power off your iPhone or iPod touch.
    What are the 200 new features of iOS 6?
    Where can I see more iOS 6 Screenshots?
    [​IMG]

iOS 6 direct download links:
    • iPod touch 4G (iPod4,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPod touch 5G (iPod5,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A406), Download
    • iPhone 3GS (iPhone2,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPhone 4 (iPhone3,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPhone 4 (Verizon) (iPhone3,3) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPhone 4S (iPhone4,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPhone 4 (AT&T) (iPhone3,2) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPhone 5 (iPhone5,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A405), Download
    • iPhone 5 (iPhone5,2) version 6.0 (Build 10A405), Download
    • iPad 2 (Wi-Fi) (iPad2,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPad 2 (AT&T) (iPad2,2) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPad 2 (Verizon) (iPad2,3) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPad 2 (iPad2,4) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPad 3 (Wi-Fi) (iPad3,1) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPad 3 (AT&T) (iPad3,2) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    • iPad 3 (Verizon) (iPad3,3) version 6.0 (Build 10A403), Download
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    ValleyForge and Kiks52 like this.
  2. SteppingSplash

SteppingSplash Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe include instructions on updating from a jailbroken device?
    I know it's not that different, but there will probably be questions on that.
    Redsn0wier likes this.
  3. vasu94

vasu94 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    i am not gonna upgrade until a jailbreak is released
    plus the servers are gonna be hounded tomorrow
  4. TylerDrgnHeart

TylerDrgnHeart Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    anyone think we will keep getting the 3194 error with apple's servers being overloaded? :p
  5. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    Yes, and a whole bunch of errors especially in the 3000s. I'm gonna update it with a troubleshooting tomorrow.
  6. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    That's too much work. At least for me to do. I've never done it. I've always restored and updated. Most people don't want that. Backup tweaks, backup whatever. Not doing it.

Maybe when a jailbreak for all devices comes out for iOS 6.
  7. TylerDrgnHeart

TylerDrgnHeart Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i have my shsh's saved for 5.1.1, so i can still downgrade if, lets say, the final version kills the battery life on my 3gs?
  8. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    Yes.
  9. xxILoveYnYxx

xxILoveYnYxx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    When will it available? Until now i still can't update yet
  10. rockyrhodes

rockyrhodes Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I'll wait a couple of days to see how things go and avoid the peak traffic.