[How to] Upgrade to 1.1.3 and keep your apps!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by ryanmct, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

Hi! I made this little [how to] if you're someone like me who didn't want to update to 1.1.3 because you have so many applications. Well, here's how to keep your applications, and update, Without having to reinstall them! This should only take about 5-7 minutes, depending on your internet connection speed. It should save you a LOT of time and headache with the applications, especially if you have over 5 pages of apps. I had 9, which prompted me to put this together.

This, of course, assumes you have a jailbroken 1.1.3 devise, that has been jailbroken from 1.1.2 using the Dev Team's method. NOT NATE TRUE's method! Because of the bugs of the Nate True and 1.1.1->1.1.3, this simply won't work if you've used either method.

Step 1: Start by installing (or re-installing) OpenSSH if you haven't already. Then install (or re-install) BossPrefs. Also install or re-install BossTools, to make this as easy as possible. Note: OpenSSH won't show up on the springboard. Use BossPrefs to make sure that SSH is turned on.

Step 2: Using your favorite SSH application, navigate to /var on your iPod. You'll notice your old Applications folder, with all of your old untouched 3rd party applications. Rename this folder Applications.old

Step 3: In BossTools, relocate your wallpapers, ringtones (if applicable), and finally Applications.

Step 4: Now back in your SSH program. You'll see in the "/var" folder that there is now Applications, along with your renamed Applications.old. Select all of the applications in Applications.old, and drag them to the new Applications. IMPORTANT: Make sure you do NOT replace any applications that are in the new Applications folder, such as a purchased to hacked app pack apps, your music player, and most importantly Installer!

Step 5: After that is done, move to command prompt, terminal, or putty. From there, SSH into your ipod once more, and follow the instructions located on the featured page of Installer. This is to make sure it properly installs any new applications you may want. Here they are:
    Step 6: Reboot your iPod, and you're done! You should see all of your old applications on the springboard!

If you have any programs that have installable levels such as iPhysics or TTR, and later Summerboard, if they fix it, you have to follow this last step to ensure that the moved applications see your installed levels/roms/songs.

Optional Step 7: To do this, simply create a Media folder in /var/root/ and then select and move over those folders from /var/mobile/root/ and Respring springboard to save the move.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

I'll be on for a while, if you have any problems post them in this thread or PM me.
  3. kenney69

kenney69 New Member

How is this not stickied?
  4. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

Did it work for you okay?
  5. illusionist319

illusionist319 New Member

I'm new to the threads and have been lurking for a while. I had 8 pages of apps and was putting off jailbreaking till I read this. i jbed then i bought the app pack and did this, and everything worked perfectly THX a lot!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    im stuck on step 6
  7. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

If you mean rebooting your ipod, try a hard reset. If you mean that there aren't any apps in your springboard, you haven't moved your new application folder with bosstools, or you haven't transfered your old apps into the new app folder made by bosstools. PM me if this persists.
  8. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

MODS: Please can you sticky this? There are many threads now on how to delete all of their apps, and also a lot of other threads on how to reinstall all of apps. I hope people can do this, rather than reinstall all of their apps. Thanks
  9. MomDad

MomDad New Member

A Mod definitely should sticky this!

Great guide, Ryanmct!
  10. ryanmct

ryanmct New Member

thanks, momdad!