how to update without losing data?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by byroo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. byroo

byroo New Member

So here's my question:

How can i update to 2.1 (currently on jailbroken 2.0.2) without losing my music, photos, videos etc. in the past i 've discovered that it doesn't matter which way i update my ipod. shift+restore and the result is that all my stuff is gone and start from scratch or shift + search for update or smth and the same thing happens. it wouldn' t be a big problem but i have collected my music library from various computers and it's annoying to get all back every time i lose it because update.

so if anybody knows how not to lose or what im doing wrong then please let me know
  2. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Updating shouldn't delete anything. Even if you're jailbroken apps, they won't appear but they will take up space.
  3. Frozen72

Frozen72 New Member

If you update you will have to resync all of your media. You will NOT have your jailbroken apps anymore tough. I would update, the only reason to jailbreak is for theming and categories.
  4. Laser

Laser New Member

The jailbroken apps are deleted in the process of updating. I know this because I have updated to 2.1 from 2.02 and my apps are no longer in the /Applications folder. Yes, I can view root through ftp.
    If you are curious how, view this: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96967
  5. engineers

engineers New Member

If you update from any 2.x to 2.1 you will loose your jailbroken status as well as all the apps associated with that. But, you will not loose any store apps or media of any kind. You still need to sync your iPod once before the genius feature will work.
  6. Pankil25

Pankil25 New Member

yeh shift+update should not make u lose ur apps and music etc.. just sync the pod and all will be ok. i restored mine today since i only had a small amt of songs and wanted a clean full install....
  7. blunden

blunden Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You could always backup all your music and videos. There are a few windows apps that does this and probably some Mac app. PM me if you run windows.