[HOW TO] Untethered Jailbreak N00BS on macs

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by thund3r, Mar 11, 2009.

1. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    First of all you will need Libusb installed onto your computer which can get obtained here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1217405&postcount=4

Second of all you will need the redsn0w lite folder (tethered jailbreak folder) which can be obtained here: http://files.filefront.com/rslitezip/;13447071;/fileinfo.html

Third, you will need the patch that Musclenerd has made which can be obtained here: http://iphwn.org/24kpwn.zip

*From Here is only for the people who don't have the tethered jailbreak yet*

Fourth , you will need the Pwnage tool which i put everything in there for you so you don't need to like do the show package contents thingies ^^:http://files.filefront.com/Redsn0w Boot Launcher Bet1zip/;13447004;/fileinfo.html

Next is the firmwares which can be obtained here:
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    Click on the tab thing below the iPhone and iPod touch firmwares and download the iPod touch 2g 2.1.1 and iPod touch 2.2.1.

After downloading all those put them all in the rslite folder apart from the LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch and put that in a folder called Patchs

Name the firmwares you download 221firmware.ipsw and 211firmware.ipsw
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (This is also for the people that hasn't done the tethered jailbreak yet)

Now after all that preperation, we will start with making the custom firmware. Open pwnage tool and click ok when a blue box pops out. Click on expert mode on the top left and click on the iPod touch picture. After the iPod gets ticked, hit the blue arrow on the bottom right. The application should start looking for the firmware. If it doesn't find the firmware, look for the 221firmware.ipsw that you have placed in the rslite folder. If Pwnage tool doesn't let you pick the firmware, it's probably a good idea to download it again and try. After picking the firmware, double click on the custom boot logo button and untick both of the boxes above the two pictures. After that, click on the blue arrow on the bottom right and double click build. A box should pop up asking you to name the custom firmware, name it anything that you would remmeber but i would prefer custom.ipsw. While it's building it should ask you for your admins password so type that in if you know it. After it finished, drop it into rslite folder.

Connect your iPod to the computer and put your iPod in dfu mode by holding your iPods home and power button and let go of the power button and keep holding the home button for another 10 secs and your iPods screen should be black, now you should be in dfu mode then open up Terminal and type in "cd ~/desktop/rslite" hit enter then type "./rslite" after that type "!iBSS211.dfu" and hit enter. At this point your iPods screen should turn white. After it says "OK", type "./rslite" and type "#pwn211ibss.txt"hit enter, then type "!iBSS221pwn.dfu" and hit enter. Then your ipods screen should blink.

Go open itunes and while holding option, press restore, and pick the ipsw in the rslite folder. Your iPod should start restoring. After it finishes, your ipod should turn off so then put it in dfu mode again. Open up terminal again and type "./rslite" hit enter and then type "!iBSS211.dfu", hit enter and you will get a white screen again. Then type "./rslite" press enter and type #pwn211ibss.txt" press enter and then "!iBSS211pwn.dfu". Your iPods screen should blink. Lastly, type "./rslite" hit enter and type "!iBoot221pwn.img3". This will get you the tethered jailbreak.

*From here is the part for the people who already had a tethered jailbreak and the people who just did it now*

Name the custom firmware custom.ipsw to custom.zip. Unzip the file and go into : Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n72ap.production and take out "LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3" and it into the folder made a while ago called "Patchs". Open up a new terminal window and type "cd ~/desktop/Patchs" Then type "bspatch LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3.new LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch" Hit enter and type "rm -rf LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3" hit enter and type "cp LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3.new LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3" hit enter and type "rm -rf LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3.new". Now your pretty much all set. Put the "LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3" back to where you found it before and open a new window in Terminal. Type "cd ~/desktop/custom" hit enter and type "zip -r ../Custom.ipsw ./" Hit enter again and it should make the folder into a ipsw file again. Put your iPod touch in dfu mode again and open a new window in Terminal. Type "cd ~/desktop/rslite" hit enter, type "./rslite" hit enter, type "!iBSS211.dfu" hit enter, type "./rslite" hit enter, type #pwn211ibss.txt" hit enter and type "!iBSS221pwn.dfu" and hit enter. Your iPod should blink and now open iTunes and while holding option, hit restore. Restore with the custom.ipsw firmware and wait until the ipod is fully restore and you will have a "Untethered iPod Touch 2G"!
  2. Rhith

Rhith New Member

Excellent, but just to be sure of everything, if you have never jailbroken your iPod Touch before you do everything leading up to "*From here is the part for the people who already had a tethered jailbreak and the people who just did it now*" and it should be complete? Have you tested this and is it confirmed to work? I just want to make sure. Thank you!
    *EDIT*
    Never mind, re-reading! Seeing that for an untouched it looks like you need to do the whole process.

*Another edit!*
    Could you just follow the whole process to make the untethered firmware bundle and then just restore with that instead of restoring to a tethered first?
  3. Brandon639

Brandon639 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This only flashes the nor right?
  4. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    Um i haven't tried that yet but i will try after i get my iPod back from my friends but im very sure this will work because i tried this 3 times.
  5. Rhith

Rhith New Member

It sounds like it should work to me since after you jailbreak all you're doing is editing the file you just put on and then restoring again. There's no way for me to test this though because my iPod is in the mail from California and won't be here for about six days.
    (And no one go on about how I can just wait for a Mac GUI, that's no fun!)
  6. Brandon639

Brandon639 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just need to know if this only flashes the NOR or erases the entire thing. Kinda important haha. If it makes a difference I have run rs installed.
  7. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    I personally don't think it will be a problem having run rs installed on the ipod since it's still tethered. But don't blame me if it went wrong

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Brandon639

Brandon639 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I know that wouldnt be a problem, but does this erase everything?
  9. hallo

hallo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thx great tut...but you got a few mistakes in it specially in the send comands of iBSS221pwn.dfu...

iptf 4 ever!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. thund3r

thund3r Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ah sorry i didn't see you, yeah it will erase everything you have since it you have to fully restore.